List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] nepomuk / baloo naming implications
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-21 5:10:56

On Friday 21 February 2014 00:24:08 =C0lex Fiestas wrote:
> On Thursday 20 February 2014 22:29:30 Tassos Koutlas wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > =

> > I know this comes out of the blue but I have decided to weigh in this
> > debate, sorry but it turned out rather long. I am a KDE user since the
> > RH6.5 days back in 1999. I've experienced first hand the evolution of K=
DE
> [...]

> > keeping nepomuk brand alive is invalid. But we cannot do both at the sa=
me
> > time.
> > =

> > If we ultimately care about people and how KDE is offering solutions to
> > people, then we have to treat it as any other technology product. There
> > are
> > three distinct characteristics in a technology project targeted at
> > different audiences:
> > (a) technology related matters targeted at developers,
> > (b) marketing related matters (including product/user relationships,
> > distribution/promotion matters, copywriting material and so on) targeted
> > at
> > people,
> > (c) and community related matters target at people to ensure project
> > continuity.
> > =

> > So there is a question, given that KDE is an advanced project in terms =
of
> > technology and technical vision how can this can be communicated back at
> > people both in terms of users and press?
> > =

> > First and foremost kde-promo mailing list is a very good step at
> > coordinating efforts made, as are the development of the Visual Design
> > Group (VDG) and the Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) group. But these
> > alone
> > are not enough. The cornerstone of these efforts is to distil and decide
> > the core values of the project in terms of its audience. Then to change
> > our
> > idiosyncrasy towards the project given those values and principles. What
> > that ultimately means is that instead of feeling that each component of
> > KDE
> > is vertically aligned we should change to a more horizontal approach.
> > Developers may have authoritative control over the technical merits of a
> > component, identity characteristics however should be vested in people
> > with
> > expertise in the marketing/promo space and the usability space.
> > =

> > To conclude with my thesis, I would like to thank you all for your effo=
rts
> > building KDE, an indispensable part of my everyday computing experience.
> > My
> > thoughts above have been piling up for quite some time now. I don't know
> > if
> > my expertise is adequate enough to contribute at the marketing/promo sp=
ace
> > of such an important project as KDE, but I indent to get more acquainted
> > with efforts so far and participate more.
> > =

> > Best regards,
> > =

> > Tassos
> =

> I just want to say that I have really enjoyed reading your email, thanks =

+1

On a related note, Vishesh, Peter, Kevin and myself had a productive =

discussion last night about our communication. We realized that the point =

Aaron made about our communication about Baloo being different from our =

initial plan of not talking to users about these details is very true. What =

the underlying tech is named is irrelevant - what matters for the user is =

Desktop Search. So, the article will be about that - not Baloo or Nepomuk.

I will work on integrating the feedback from the thread(s) as well as this =

aspect into the article, ask for feedback again, and then - it is good to g=
o =

as far as we are concerned.

I think this not only makes everybody happy but it is also the most obvious =

solution :D

Hugs,
Jos