On Thursday 20 February 2014 22:29:30 Tassos Koutlas wrote: > Hello all, > > I know this comes out of the blue but I have decided to weigh in this > debate, sorry but it turned out rather long. I am a KDE user since the > RH6.5 days back in 1999. I've experienced first hand the evolution of KDE > and all the controversy surrounding the 4.x release, the bad press on > nepomuk and so on. I have been however in numerous occasions presenting KDE > software to students and professional groups and I have been outlining its > merits, vision of the future and cutting edge technology included in each > release. > > But let's step back a bit and think about KDE as software. What has always > been its number one advantage over other desktop environments (DE)? I > believe it's been primarily consistency and platform integration and > secondarily a unified UX (a distant third IMHO was stability but remember > back in the day you had to recompile Xfree86 from source to be able to play > DIVXes so stability for non technically inclined people is out of the > question). People are using or switching to KDE to experience consistency, > integration and unified experience in a FOSS desktop environment. In my > opinion regardless of trolling and early criticism the 4.x releases > strengthened KDE in those respects. Recently there was an article showing > KDE having a concrete 30% of use in a very fragmented market. > > Having said that, my initial reaction at the Baloo announcement over at > planetkde was a sense of relief; I guess bad feelings on nepomuk overwhelm > me too. However my next reaction was a sense of disappointment feeling that > we yet again rush new technology when in fact should spend our time > strengthening KDE's core values (consistency and integration). Please note > however that these were my personal immediate reactions and they don't > necessarily reflect reality. I understand that Baloo will be better than > nepomuk in those respects and that it would be able to provide all > integration nepomuk was destined to do. I also don't want in any way to > diminish Vishesh's contributions on building a better and more suitable > tool, he is doing a great job advancing KDE on that front. > > But we, as a community, have to understand that technology developed in the > context of KDE ultimately aims to serve people. Let's face it as far as > software goes, a DE is as people-centric as software can get. People care > about solutions and products that deliver them. Please note that product in > this context is used as an entity in a competitive market claiming market > share, not necessarily reflecting monetary attributes, after all a product > is much more than a price tag. As a product, KDE, is destined to be > something more than the underlying technology, it must have a unified front > presenting itself to others in terms of narration, a set of core values and > principles, a certain community ensuring continuity. > > The above serve as a compass when arguments arise. Developers may change and > users may increase or decrease, the project as a whole, however, can > continue to fill market needs as it always did and it can expand > incorporating new narrations based on values and principles. How these are > presented to people matter. They matter because they define how people > perceive the project and how the press perceives the project. For instance > if our core values are consistency/integration/stability then marketing > Baloo as anything different than the continuation of nepomuk is invalid. > If, on the other hand, we want to be perceived as a project where cutting > edge technology is presented to the user as soon as it is available then > keeping nepomuk brand alive is invalid. But we cannot do both at the same > time. > > If we ultimately care about people and how KDE is offering solutions to > people, then we have to treat it as any other technology product. There are > three distinct characteristics in a technology project targeted at > different audiences: > (a) technology related matters targeted at developers, > (b) marketing related matters (including product/user relationships, > distribution/promotion matters, copywriting material and so on) targeted at > people, > (c) and community related matters target at people to ensure project > continuity. > > So there is a question, given that KDE is an advanced project in terms of > technology and technical vision how can this can be communicated back at > people both in terms of users and press? > > First and foremost kde-promo mailing list is a very good step at > coordinating efforts made, as are the development of the Visual Design > Group (VDG) and the Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) group. But these alone > are not enough. The cornerstone of these efforts is to distil and decide > the core values of the project in terms of its audience. Then to change our > idiosyncrasy towards the project given those values and principles. What > that ultimately means is that instead of feeling that each component of KDE > is vertically aligned we should change to a more horizontal approach. > Developers may have authoritative control over the technical merits of a > component, identity characteristics however should be vested in people with > expertise in the marketing/promo space and the usability space. > > To conclude with my thesis, I would like to thank you all for your efforts > building KDE, an indispensable part of my everyday computing experience. My > thoughts above have been piling up for quite some time now. I don't know if > my expertise is adequate enough to contribute at the marketing/promo space > of such an important project as KDE, but I indent to get more acquainted > with efforts so far and participate more. > > Best regards, > > Tassos I just want to say that I have really enjoyed reading your email, thanks for supporting us all these years. _______________________________________________ This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. Visit https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, set digest on or temporarily stop your subscription.