List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Vishesh Handa <me () vhanda ! in>
Date:       2014-02-19 9:59:36

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 02:30:13 PM Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, February 17, 2014 20:42:42 Carl Symons wrote:
> > >
> > > Just sayin' and nothing is set in stone until the release was made...
> > > I am 100 % confident in Vishesh's skills that the framework will be
> > > great
> > > but let's be honest: The name is inviting trolls...
> >
> > If we can't fix it, we should feature it.
>
> Well, that's just it. It *can* be fixed.
>
> The main problem is that any given developer can freely alter something that
> has profound PR ramifications on the whole of KDE. Given that few
> developers have experience with public communication or media relations,
> this is a recipe for disaster.
>
> Honestly, this rename should never have happened in the first place. The
> cost to KDE is significant in terms of throwing away prior public
> communication and the introduction of confusion. (This confusion is visible
> all over social media right now..)

We discussed this in public and privately, and came to the conclusion that
this is a risk worth taking.

> In this case the developer actually went back on their word to not make the
> new name a publicly visible brand, which has compounded the issue because,
> since I trusted their word on this, there was little advance work done to
> head off the obvious fallout that would ensue, such as seen today on
> Phoronix.

I went back on my word? Is there any mention of Baloo in any public UI?

Unless you consider repository and project names to be "public".

> The talk in this thread of creating a logo/icon for Baloo is wildly
> misdirected as well. There is a logo/icon for "desktop search" in KDE
> already. Swapping it out serves none of our users and works directly
> against public communications continuity.

No it does not. The current icon is an abstract icon for "Nepomuk" which
doesn't say anything about what it does.

--
Vishesh Handa