List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] nepomuk / baloo naming implications
From:       Ivan =?utf-8?B?xIx1a2nEhw==?= <ivan.cukic () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-19 7:15:43

A.S. I wanted to put this in p.s. but I think it is important.

KDE was *not* a part of EU project, so please stop saying that. KDE saw no
finances from it. The only relation between that project and KDE's nepomuk was
Trueg since he happened to be a part of KDE and decided to use the ideas
developed by the EU project for improving our software.

For the project members, see:
http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/Participants.html

Hi Aaron,

This is a great write-up. I have to say that I understand the points you made,
even if I might not consider them to have the necessary weight to win over the
'for-the-name-change' arguments.

Vishesh will respond with the reasons for changing the name, it is his project
after all. To be honest, he got my full support after I discussed it with him.

I'm going to say just one thing that is not technical nor community-related.

From time to time, thanks to the negativity they encountered while working on
something, developers need to start from scratch. A clean slate.

They create a brand new project that serves as a replacement for the already
existing one. It has happened before, and it is happening now again. Mind that
Baloo is not the only project that is doing this at the moment.

> == Established investment nepomuk ==

This is the only part where I feel suitable to give my *personal* opinion,
since I was one of the little cogs in the nepomuk's promotion machine.

It is true that we spent some (too much) time promoting nepomuk. It is also
true that we spent a lot of time implementing stuff that used it.

But it is also true that we spent a lot of time hacking around its problems,
changes in the behaviour that silently broke our code etc. And, in the end (at
least in my case) replacing majority of the code with sqlite.

Since I've already wasted hours and hours investing into coding nepomuk-
related stuff*, I don't mind if the promotion-time turned out to be a waste.

With this taken into consideration, I wouldn't mind starting with a clean
slate.

Cheerio,
Ivan

* well, I don't mind that I've learned rdf and sparql, so it is not a complete
waste

--
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.