List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] nepomuk / baloo naming implications
From:       Ivan =?utf-8?B?xIx1a2nEhw==?= <ivan.cukic () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-19 7:15:43

A.S. I wanted to put this in p.s. but I think it is important.

KDE was *not* a part of EU project, so please stop saying that. KDE saw no
finances from it. The only relation between that project and KDE's nepomuk \
was  Trueg since he happened to be a part of KDE and decided to use the \
ideas  developed by the EU project for improving our software.

For the project members, see:
http://nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org/Participants.html

Hi Aaron,

This is a great write-up. I have to say that I understand the points you \
made,  even if I might not consider them to have the necessary weight to \
win over the  'for-the-name-change' arguments.

Vishesh will respond with the reasons for changing the name, it is his \
project  after all. To be honest, he got my full support after I discussed \
it with him.

I'm going to say just one thing that is not technical nor \
community-related.

From time to time, thanks to the negativity they encountered while working \
on  something, developers need to start from scratch. A clean slate.

They create a brand new project that serves as a replacement for the \
already  existing one. It has happened before, and it is happening now \
again. Mind that  Baloo is not the only project that is doing this at the \
moment.

> == Established investment nepomuk ==

This is the only part where I feel suitable to give my *personal* opinion,
since I was one of the little cogs in the nepomuk's promotion machine.

It is true that we spent some (too much) time promoting nepomuk. It is also \
 true that we spent a lot of time implementing stuff that used it.

But it is also true that we spent a lot of time hacking around its \
problems,  changes in the behaviour that silently broke our code etc. And, \
in the end (at  least in my case) replacing majority of the code with \
sqlite.

Since I've already wasted hours and hours investing into coding nepomuk-
related stuff*, I don't mind if the promotion-time turned out to be a \
waste.

With this taken into consideration, I wouldn't mind starting with a clean
slate.

Cheerio,
Ivan

* well, I don't mind that I've learned rdf and sparql, so it is not a \
complete  waste

--
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant."
Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.