List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 14:51:50

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 14:20:57 Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:54:04 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:30:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> This turn of phrase ("went back on") bothers me a little - to be blunt, it
> seems unfair.

Lets not quibble on semantics. When the name first surface, after explaining
the challenges this raised, I was told that Baloo would not be a publicly
visible name and would not compete with Nepomuk as such. This changed at some
point. You may use whatever words you feel comfortable with for that.

> Yep, we worked to make 'Nepomuk' somewhat invisible. Baloo should be no more
> visible to the user.

Nepomuk undeniably has visibility. Keeping continuity in that would have made
a number of things rather more simple going forward.

> In this particular case, there are some major things changing - it's a big
> switch that might leave some applications currently needing Nepomuk. I'm not

Given that Nepomuk is being left behind by the developers who were working on
it, this seems inadvisable. As yet another cost in the renaming exercise, we
now have developers who will more likely feel the need to spend time examining
the change and whether to adopt or not rather than simply accepting it as the
next step in this technology's life cycle.

> sure it can be done completely unannounced, with no public change (in
> name/terminology).

It should be announced; it's the change in naming and terminology that is at
issue.

> It could be done perhaps with a Nepomuk v1 versus
> Nepomuk v2 kind of distinction (hey, maybe that would have been better). I

That's actually what I suggested previously.

> too think it's late for that now - particularly as the name Baloo is out
> there (from use on the mailing list, apparently) - but I'm willing to be
> convinced.

I'm not sure it is too late; Baloo could be positioned as the ‘backend' for
Nepomuk storage, in much the same way as strigi was replaced with a Nepomuk-
specific solution, and Nepomuk 2 could be ‘born'.

If it is deemed "too late", then we can at least learn from this so that in
future things are handled differently.

--
Aaron J. Seigo