List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 14:20:57

On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:54:04 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:30:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > In this case the developer actually went back on their word to not make
> > the
> > new name a publicly visible brand, which has compounded the issue because,
> > since I trusted their word on this, there was little advance work done to
> > head off the obvious fallout that would ensue, such as seen today on
> > Phoronix.

This turn of phrase ("went back on") bothers me a little - to be blunt, it
seems unfair. From what I've seen of the discussions, Vishesh has tried to
work with promo on this and as far as I can see has kept to the (I thought
consensus) position that 'Baloo' replaced 'Nepomuk' as the means of
implementing semantic search.

It is possible I missed something here and am demonstrably wrong, in which
case my apologies.

> > The talk in this thread of creating a logo/icon for Baloo is wildly
> > misdirected as well. There is a logo/icon for "desktop search" in KDE
> > already. Swapping it out serves none of our users and works directly
> > against public communications continuity.
>
> I agree that Baloo shouldn't have any obvious branding other than the search
> thing we already have.

Yep, we worked to make 'Nepomuk' somewhat invisible. Baloo should be no more
visible to the user. That was what I understood from Vishesh's earlier
comments.

In this particular case, there are some major things changing - it's a big
switch that might leave some applications currently needing Nepomuk. I'm not
sure it can be done completely unannounced, with no public change (in
name/terminology).  It could be done perhaps with a Nepomuk v1 versus Nepomuk
v2 kind of distinction (hey, maybe that would have been better). I too think
it's late for that now - particularly as the name Baloo is out there (from use
on the mailing list, apparently) - but I'm willing to be convinced.

[...]

> Meanwhile, I didn't think of anything horrible and still don't feel it is
> that bad *and* it seems nobody has hammered on this point yet - I suggest we
> stick with it. Besides, in our communication we should indeed call it
> 'search' or 'semantic search' and nothing else anyway.
>
> How about we end this discussion, push out the article asap (vishesh, any
> input on things that were ported? the rest seems good to go).
>
> Huge thanks for Stu for his excellent editing.

Thanks. Is there anything else we should add/change? Any more emphasis that
things look very similar to the user after the change? I just made a quick
edit to change 'Nepomuk Team' early on to 'Semantic Search team' to try  and
emphasise the continuity and a few other minor changes.

I notice a reference to 'nepomukbaloomigrator', for transferring existing
semantic data between systems. I think this needs a little more info, even if
it is just along the lines of 'further guidance on migration will be provided
at the time of the 4.13 release' (i.e. does the user have to run it manually,
will it get run first time baloo launches - in which case we maybe don't
mention it at all and just say existing data are automatically migrated).

Cheers,
Stu