List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 13:30:13

On Monday, February 17, 2014 20:42:42 Carl Symons wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 05:03 PM, Markus Slopianka wrote:
> > On Monday 17 February 2014 23:29:47 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > Let's not go there, the decision for the name was taken a long time \
> > > ago. But you DID give me a good laugh... 😎
> >
> > Just sayin' and nothing is set in stone until the release was made...
> > I am 100 % confident in Vishesh's skills that the framework will be \
> > great but let's be honest: The name is inviting trolls...
>
> If we can't fix it, we should feature it.

Well, that's just it. It *can* be fixed.

The main problem is that any given developer can freely alter something \
that  has profound PR ramifications on the whole of KDE. Given that few \
developers  have experience with public communication or media relations, \
this is a recipe  for disaster.

Honestly, this rename should never have happened in the first place. The \
cost  to KDE is significant in terms of throwing away prior public \
communication and  the introduction of confusion. (This confusion is \
visible all over social  media right now..)

In this case the developer actually went back on their word to not make the \
 new name a publicly visible brand, which has compounded the issue because, \
 since I trusted their word on this, there was little advance work done to \
head  off the obvious fallout that would ensue, such as seen today on \
Phoronix.

The talk in this thread of creating a logo/icon for Baloo is wildly
misdirected as well. There is a logo/icon for "desktop search" in KDE \
already.  Swapping it out serves none of our users and works directly \
against public  communications continuity.

If KDE wants to have a chance of presenting itself well, this approach \
needs  to stop. Developers need to hand management of public branding and \
PR to  people who can provide more skillful direction that ensures \
continuity.

We managed to do this with artwork and other things, it can be done here as \
 well. But as long as kde-promo supports the status quo by working around \
the  issues instead of trying to put in place sensible methods, it is \
unlikely to  happen.

--
Aaron J. Seigo