List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] How are KDE release notes written?
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jos () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2012-09-26 18:35:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 23 September 2012 17:19:30 Sebastian Gruener wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 23. September 2012, 14:40:05 schrieb Marta Rybczynska:
> > Hello all,
> > I'm preparing a talk about  different types of commit
> > digests/changelogs/release notes in Open Source projects and I came to a
> > conclusion that I do not know what is the processus for KDE release
> > notes. Any doc, maybe? I recall someone wirting that they had to browse
> > the whole commit list. Is it true?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Marta RybczyƄska
>
> i think jos wrote, that he went through the commit-digest, to prepare the
> release notes for 4.9. there is also the planned features wiki-page on
> techbase [1] that was used.
>
> but, i think there is not really an actual process. the preparation of 4.9
> relase-notes seemed rather chaotic.
> to be honest, would you expect anything else ;-)

The process is more or less as follows:
- We gather 'what has changed' as completely as possible. Sources:
  - the feature plan on techbase (preferred source but incomplete)
  - asking people directly
  - blogs from planet.kde.org
  - the commit digests
- then we ask developers to check if it is correct
- we then turn that list into the release announcement ;-)
- and ask for screenshots etcetera until it is all done.

Hugs
Jos