List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] 4.9 release notes
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jos () opensuse ! org>
Date:       2012-07-27 18:27:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 23 July 2012 19:48:16 Anne Wilson wrote:

> On 23/07/12 18:32, Carl Symons wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Valorie Zimmerman
> >
> > <valorie.zimmerman@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I've gone through and edited some for clarity, spelling,
> >> grammar, etc. There is an unfinished sentence which Jos might
> >> look at. I marked it with a question mark so it stands out.
> >>
> >> It seems we need David Faure to look at the Frameworks part near
> >> the end. (dfaure: https://promo.notes.kde.org/76). He's CD'd on
> >> this.
> >>
> >> Valorie
> >
> > Content and clarity are what's needed. Editing will come when the
> > whole announcement is complete (somewhat of a waste of time before
> >
> >  then). For people who want to review, it would be helpful to look
> >
> > at the announcement from the perspective of users and casual
> > readers to make sure that it's clear and complete.
>
> While I understand the reason for it, from a user perspective the
> rebranding exercise was unwieldy and unpleasant.  I fell over
> backwards trying to make every UserBase page comply, but often there
> was not a single way of phrasing a sentence that made the rebranding
> sound natural.
>
> I still use the preferred terms when I reasonably can, but frankly,
> most users use "KDE" as meaning the whole experience of using KDE
> software.  To fall back on an old saying "Don't get your knickers in a
> twist" when things are not exactly as you'd like :-)

/me thinks someone has her threads mixed up ;-)

But yes, the whole thing was and still is a bit messy. I do think it'll
start clearing up, seeing some discussions on the release management list -
I'm guessing the split we hoped to support with the rebranding will happen
sooner rather than later. At that point, we won't be releasing all three
parts together anymore and the term 'I run KDE 4.7' becomes rather
meaningless while using the separate terms becomes more useful.

So, in short - with the rebranding efforts now, we're trying to adjust
reality to theory. I think, once reality changes, things will get easier :D

Note that I really believe that, while we didn't get a full 360 degrees
shift everywhere, the message DID land in many places. When you talk to
people at conferences and they mention KDE, they often (if they know you're
a KDE dude/girl) will appologise for 'using the word wrong'. In other words,
there IS a lot of awareness of our rebranding. By many people, KDE is seen
as more as just the thing we release and esp in the community, the
possibility of doing a split has become far easier to discuss with the new
branding. So all in all, I think it wasn't as bad as it sometimes seems.

On that note, knowing how hard this is, I (we) really appreciate the efforts
of people like you, Anne, to help make these changes. I really believe that
without the support of you (and others) it would have been far less
successful.

Hugs,
Jos