List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Subtopic: KDE and Ebook --- Spark and KDE and Tablet-Projects for Schools in Nieders
From:       Ulrich Drolshagen <ulrich.drolshagen () bbs1uelzen ! de>
Date:       2012-03-06 19:54:10

Am 06.03.2012 18:57, schrieb Daniel Rohde-Kage:

> That's only partially right. Meanwhile reality catches up with this =

> situation, because so many teachers use internet-content, educational =

> contents from broadcasting-stations (TV/radio), private sites and =

> community-ressources and so on. And for Niedersachsen there's no =

> solution in sight: It seems that there will be two universes with =

> different contents: publishing-companies and more or less private =

> content, which is intended to be bundled as Open Education Ressourcen =

> (OER) and should or will become a part of the 'Merlin' =

> Online-Ressources. On education trade fair Didacta2012 German =

> schoolbook-publishers didn't arrive an agreement about =

> schoolbook-distribution.
That is not new. Teachers have done that former times with chissors, =

glue and photocopier.  The new thing is that we digitize the material so =

that it is freely distributable. This is obviously usefull (that's why =

we are doing it) and at the same time highly illegal.  The departments =

of education are not willing to pay for this practice so the content =

owners insist on means to control what is stored on our servers. We had =

a discussion about some school trojan crawling school nets for illegal =

content lately.

> The NLQ (Official Institute for management of =

> Schoolquality/Nieders=E4chsisches Landesinstitut f=FCr schulische =

> Qualit=E4tsentwicklung) reviews school books only pro forma currently!

None the less all books used in public schools need their approval. =

Again, the students will only have one tablet. So this one, no matter =

what else content it will provide, will have to run the apps provided by =

the german schoolbook publishers. Whether we like it or not, there will =

be no way past them even for Apple, Google, Microsoft or whoever. My bet =

is, they talk to Microsoft about Windows 8 right now, as MS has a lot of =

sympathy for the need of the publishers for protecting their content At =

the same time MS is flexible enough not to interfere too much with the =

business model of their partners as Apple would do (they have announced =

their conditions for access to their "book store" already).

Ulrich