List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE-Promo Repository
From:       Carl Symons <carl () vaultechnology ! com>
Date:       2012-03-06 15:54:36

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf
<annemarie.mahfouf@free.fr> wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 11:08 PM, heathmatlock wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I think it would be useful to have a repository for the KDE Promo
> > team. Instead of having to email each other files like brochure
> > graphics and clipart that have been created or are being created,
> > others can simply follow along with a few keystrokes from the command
> > line(or a few clicks if someone is using a gui for this). Also, it
> > would be useful in writing articles for the dot. There are some
> > suggestions I have for the current article that is published under my
> > name on the Dot that may have been useful with such a tool.
> >
> > What do you all think?
> >
> Heath, thanks for bringing this up!
>
> A repository is probably not needed for Dot articles as said Carl.
> BUT
> a repository is indeed very much needed for promo material.

You're right. I stand corrected. We're just kinda getting by. KDE
Promo could be much more organized and forceful.

> Right now, we have NOTHING as promo material: someone wants to organize a
> KDE event in country X: there's no leaflet, book, KDE logo, ... to translate
> and print ==> leading to a failure.
> The KDE booklet was done in English and probably in a closed format as we
> never saw any sources. Recently a French guy asked about it on this list...
>
> Having a KDE (svn? git? i18n structure?) is something we must start to put
> in place for promo material.
>
> I'd also like to see a repository for KDE slides (sources, not pdf)
> following talks, sprints and Akademy. When one wants to give a talk about
> KDE, there's currently no template available for .odf or LaTeX.
>
> KDE must be very much more open in those areas in order to have an efficient
> promotion.
>
> Where and how can we talk about this to take further action?
>
> Anne-Marie

We can talk more right on this list.

The booklet was composed in some format that allowed open input
(Google Docs or etherpad). But it was then exported to I don't
remember what...closed as you say, Anne-Marie. Seems like there were
some issues with fonts and colors.

Git makes sense as that's what is being used elsewhere in KDE. Is it
really too geeky for non-geeky people? If there's not too much
traffic, then version control seems like unnecessary overhead. But
there are quite a number of presentations being made, scattered on
islands. It would be cool to get all that in a single place and build
, rather than having to rebuild so much. I plead guilty to having done
that.

Probably going to take some organization and communication to get this
in place. Are people up for that?

Carl