List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE-Promo Repository
From:       Carl Symons <carl () vaultechnology ! com>
Date:       2012-03-06 0:54:47

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM, heathmatlock <heathmatlock@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I think it would be useful to have a repository for the KDE Promo
> team. Instead of having to email each other files like brochure
> graphics and clipart that have been created or are being created,
> others can simply follow along with a few keystrokes from the command
> line(or a few clicks if someone is using a gui for this). Also, it
> would be useful in writing articles for the dot. There are some
> suggestions I have for the current article that is published under my
> name on the Dot that may have been useful with such a tool.
>
> What do you all think?

In theory, a repository makes sense.

In practice, we have done little of the kind of activity that calls
for such a repository. Often we use an etherpad at notes.kde.org to
collaborate on words and then take the final version wherever it needs
to go. Most Dot stories come from the "Contribute a Story" link on
dot.kde.org. I will probably not use such a repository much.

Generally we get nearly complete Dot stories and then review and edit
them to fit the Dot tone...such as what happened with the article with
your byline. The original author gets the credit. I read your comments
and get the communication.

We are not interested in generating comments just for the sake of more
activity. The Dot is intended for KDE news that primarily supports
those who are doing the work. There are other KDE venues for bug
reporting and forum-type stuff. Over the past few months, we've been
looking for the proper balance with comments.

Carl