List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE PIM marketing
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-02-20 12:47:47

Hey,

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Jos Poortvliet <jos@opensuse.org> wrote:
> As you might have read in the dot story, the KDE PIM team has discussed
> marketing at the Osnabr=FCck meeting.
>
> A few of the results are relevant for -promo so I promised to mail you ;-)
>
> Please see
> http://community.kde.org/KDE_PIM/Meetings/Osnabrueck_10 under the marketi=
ng
> header.
>
> In short, KDE PIM 4.7 was the first real release of the 'new' KDE PIM sin=
ce
> the KDE 3 times. It took a long time to get it out, indeed longer than
> expected. The stop-gap measures were not exactly great and resulted in ma=
ny
> complaints. Meanwhile, the marketing team tried to keep the spirit up - b=
eing
> a tad too positive, perhaps... The result was that the 4.7 release, which
> would have needed some patience and understanding, instead resulted in ma=
ny
> people giving up on KDE PIM.

Well we communicated what the kdepim peeps told us to communicate, my
kde pim was somewhat broken at the time so I couldn't draw any of my
own (positive) conclusions ;-)

> That is sad, as in the 6 months after that release, a HUGE number of issu=
es
> has been fixed. The KDE PIM team now actually needs quality bug reports -=
 but
> is unfortunately flooded with lots of complaints. What needs to happen is=
 that
> we need our KDE Community to start using and testing KDE PIM again; AND we
> need help bug triaging.
>
> Last but not least, we need to change our communication, make clear that =
4.7
> was our FIRST release and the hurt of the huge re-factoring is behind us:=
 it's
> upwards from now on.
>
> The plan is:
> 1. We should stop pushing technical terms like "Akonadi" and "Nepomuk" to
> users. Work has already been put in to eradicate those terms from the UI =
but
> we need to do the same in our communication. These terms have not only go=
tten
> a very bad rep but are confusing too. Lets keep it simple: we have the KD=
E PIM
> UI's like Kontact Mail and Kontact Address book and the KDE PIM backend.

Ok. But if we are going to do news about KDE PIM that doesn't use the
backend buzzwords then we need some actual new visible features to
talk about :-) Will there be some?

> 2. We need to communicate that KDE PIM has finally started fresh and is r=
eady
> for testing; and needs help bug triaging!

Sounds similar to the story for 4.7 - 'this is the start of something
great'. Don't get me wrong, I believe it is, but I don't think making
the same points again - particularly if there are still a lot of bugs
to be triaged - will necessarily give us the desired results. We need
some specifics about how good/bad things are, such as, for those who
didn't switch yet, does automatic migration to KMail 2 work now,
fairly often?

> 3. And we need to tell the big story, the how and what of what we did. For
> that, see the graphic here:
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29347181/KDE%20PIM.svg
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29347181/KDE%20PIM%20big.png
> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29347181/KDE%20PIM_small.png

Ok, those are fairly cool. We'll probably still need some kind of
name/description for the blobs though, even if we don't use 'Akonadi'.
Also details on why the right hand side figure is better than the one
on the left would be good.

> The plan is:
> 1. Change the wiki pages to reflect 1 (done)
> 2. Let you guys & girls know (hereby done)
> 3. find a good time to do a big 'call for help' for 2 and do it
> 4. write articles to address myths around KDE PIM (eg about memory usage,
> speed, stability, mail loss etc)

Point 3 needs very careful timing - there might be a chance to get
people back, but getting them back and giving them a bad experience
will only keep them away longer.

Point 4 would also be useful, particularly if some advantages of the
changes can be demonstrated at this point. From my personal
experience, they are not apparent yet, but I do believe they will
come. People will try the software and they need to experience the
good things we write about.

Cheers,
Stu