List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Secure boot
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-20 13:56:51

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 6:09 AM, Agustin <toscalix@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've received the last few days several mails related with Microsoft stra=
tegy to deliver secure boot implemented in a way that adds restrictions for=
 installing free software based distros.

> Is this being discussed in Kde? Where?
>
> Sent from a mobile phone
>
> Saludos
>
> Agust=EDn Benito Bethencourt
> Gerente@asolif.es

I've seen no KDE discussion about this issue. It has shown up elsewhere tho=
ugh.

Here's an explanation along with a way to be heard.
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/
There's a link at the bottom of that page to sign a statement.

Despite Microsoft's claim to the contrary, this is likely to have the
effect of strengthening their near-monopoly position. (They are
pointing to hardware manufacturers as the implementers.) Microsoft
have stepped over the boundaries of U.S. law related to anti-trust
laws on many occasions. They have abused their monopoly position.
Microsoft's strategy on this technology is suspect. The U.S. legal
system _may_ prohibit their strategy. But it's more likely that
nothing will happen, as Microsoft has repeatedly shown an inclination
to buy their way out of these legal dilemmas. And if the U.S.
Department of Justice is involved, it usually takes years to reach a
conclusion.

It's important that the free and open source software community
(outside the U.S. especially) be heard on this issue. Look at your PC,
laptop, tablet...if it's from a U.S. manufacturer then there's a good
chance that your next one won't run KDE.

I don't know if KDE should take an official position...perhaps
something could be put together in consultation with FSFE.

Carl