List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] 15th KDE birthday
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-05 15:51:30

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia@kde.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 23:15, Carl Symons <carlsymons@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hey :)
> > >
> > > Looks good. One thing though: I believe it's not enough time to
> > > organize good parties so I'd also offer other things that were
> > > suggested in the etherpad:
> > > * donate 15 Euros or more to KDE e.V.
> > > * test 15 bugs and see if they're still relevant
> > > * tell 15 people about why you love KDE
> > > * spend at least 15 minutes on testing a program and filing bugs
> > > * spend at least 15 minutes updating a few pages on userbase
> > > * spend at least 15 minutes answering questions on the forum
> > > * spend at least 15 minutes helping someone in #kde on freenode
> > > * ...
> > >
> > > Those are things people can do without much coordination. If they do
> > > parties that's of course awesome too.
> > >

> > > Cheers
> > > Lydia
> > >

> > I intended to make those suggestions with the 14 October article in
> > accord with Stu's mail from 19 September. It would work to do that now
> > too, or at least open people's eyes to possibilities.
> >
> > Considering this just now, I think that it would work best to offer
> > this kind of suggestion closer in to the 14th. 1- Set the stage now
> > and get people thinking. 2 - Do a Dot story in a week or so offering
> > such suggestions and inviting comments from people about what they
> > plan. 3 - Do the 14 Oct Dot story as Stu suggested.
>
> *nod* makes sense. I'd hate to see it as some sort of back-paddeling
> though in the end. (ie we see that not enough parties are happening
> and then decide to do something "easier" last minute.) So I think
> hinting at this at least is a good idea. What do you think?
>
> > I went through the donations process starting at kde.org. It seems
> > clunky...multiple links on the targeted page that go to the same
> > place. A direct link to PayPal in one spot with no setup for the jump.
> > In another is this..."The preferred way to donate to KDE is by using
> > our [PayPal-link] account.", and the link goes directly to PayPal
> > again. It could be a lot easier for people to donate.
>
> I've not looked at it but making the path shorter makes sense,
> definitely. What would need to happen?
>

> Cheers
> Lydia

http://dot.kde.org/2011/10/05/freedom-15-years-party

We should get this out soon. KDE Espana is already planning a
more-or-less national event. Latinoware has got a 15 year graphic.

I added some suggestions for what people can do, along with a link to
KDE Espana's website.

If there are no more changes or suggestions, would someone please review.

It is not necessary to change the donation webpage right now. We
should take a look at it and coordinate with whoever is admin for that
page.

Carl