List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] 15th KDE birthday
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-09-19 13:13:04

Hey,

So first up - I have to finish my PhD and am therefore useless on this until at
least October.

So until then, I can only suggest what I think needs doing...

On Sunday 18 Sep 2011 13:39:02 Thomas Thym wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I searched the old discussion and found the following link to an etherpad
> about the KDE day. https://promo.notes.kde.org/50?

These are cool. I like the ideas of doing something special and collating
them. Here's a suggestion:

Dot article on 1 October that:
- States it's KDE's 15th birthday in a couple of weeks and urges people to:
--Make a cake or take a picture of "KDE" in a creative way and start sending
pictures to some email address (an @kde alias would be ideal)
--Tells them to look out for more on 14 October
(this gives us hopefully some cool stuff to put in the 14 Oct Dot article)

On 14 October:
- Dot article published and linked from all our social media channels
--Include the best pics we got in the appeal and links to a whole load of them
--Ask people to tweet what they are doing with hashtag kde15 (or whatever, but
we should set something). Also for use on twitter etc
--Ask people to do something for KDE, one or more of:
---Donate 15 somethings in your local currency (works ok in $,£,Euro imho in
some places 15 local makes no sense, so maybe we suggest equivalent of 15$ or
Euro)
---Write a blog post about what KDE means to them, which could be a 15 things
about KDE meme
---Tell 15 people about KDE
---Praise someone in the community (personally or in public)
---Most of all, tweet whatever they do/put it on facebook or wherever: "I just
baked a cake for KDE's birthday [link to pic] #kde15
- Modify buzz.kde.org (or make a new page based on it) to collate only stuff
with the hashtag we define.
- Get a banner on kde.org that links to the dot story or the buzz page

So, to do that the tasks would be:
- Two dot articles
- Talk to controllers of each social media channel and have them spread the
word too (there's some automation already from dot articles). I'm one of the
Facebook peeps so I can deal with that one.
- Talk to web team about buzz.kde.org
- Talk to sysadmins about possibility of an 15@kde.org or something alias that
we can send to (e.g.) a GMail account to collect pic submissions.
- Contact the KDE e.V. members list in advance with a request for people to
blog/tweet on the day (probably the best place to get a lot of people, we can
consider other lists too)
- Harass one of our artists to do a KDE 15 logo for the banner

So what this really needs is someone 'in charge' to make sure things get done
(something like the above, or whatever their vision is - it doesn't matter as
long as it happens). It can't be me, but maybe Thomas? Carl? Anyone else?

Individual tasks can be taken by other people and I'll try and help in
October.

Let's make this happen :-)

Stu

--
Stuart Jarvis
KDE Marketing Working Group, Promotion Team and KDE.News

Experience Freedom with KDE
http://www.kde.org/