List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Community blogging competition
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-06-19 9:05:28

Hey,

On Thursday 16 June 2011 14:31:34 Lukas wrote:
> Is there yes/no decision on this?

It might be worth taking a moment here to look at that question...

First, there is no one here with the absolute authority to say yes or no

Second, even if one of us says "yes" that doesn't mean that it is going to
happen - unless one of us says "yes and personally do the work to make it
happen".

What you need to do is work ut who needs to be involved and then get those
people, individually, on board.

> If yes, what should be done a) organizational

So first of all you need a firm, practical plan of what to do. Here is one way
it could go:

- Dot article announcing the competition and an address/website form where
people can nominate their favourite blogs
- A judging panel that each month (or whatever time period) chooses their
favourite
- A monthly (or whatever) Dot article announcing the winner and requesting
nominations for the next month.

In that case, if you are willing to write the articles, collect nominations
and be on the judging panel then you just need the approval of the Dot editors
(as one, I think it falls within the scope of articles we accept, so should
not be a problem). Then you would need to ask for volunteers to join the
judging panel and come up with some judging and nomination guidelines

> b)technical

Set up an email address (maybe at kde.org) for nominations or wiki page.
Possibly a form on the website. Email address seems easiest...

> c) prize fund

Unless you can find a sponsor who would like to provide prizes I doubt there is
going to be a prize fund. KDE e.V. probably has more urgent things to spend
its money on.

However, you could make a set of banners: "KDE Blog of the Month, June 2011"
for example that the winning blog could display. That, along with a link from
the Dot article when announcing the winners could be quite a draw. Afterall,
why do people blog? Readers and recognition must be big parts of it.

Cheers,
Stu

--
Stuart Jarvis
KDE Marketing Working Group, Promotion Team and KDE.News

Experience Freedom with KDE
http://www.kde.org/