List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Mentor Program and first steps for KDE
From:       "Anne-Marie Mahfouf" <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2011-06-06 9:23:05

Hi,

You can change my email address to be annma@kde.org

I mentor quite a lot of newcomers but I don't know how much come through this
page. Usually it's from a mail exchange or a chat on IRC that people are
encouraged and helped and then mentored to lead to contribution. See * for
more details.

I think the next thing to do is to better gather and advertize "Junior Jobs"
as an easy entry into KDE and I was thinking the other day to include a JJ
Week for 4.8 a bit before freeze but after things are stabilized enough to
make contributions easier.

(*) In the KDE-Edu team we had lots of new contributors during the years and
several started with an Edu application to then broaden their contribution to
KDE core libs. Recently we got a new contributor from a live meeting with
Lydia at a show and 2 others who started sending patches and were welcomed and
encouraged by mail to do more if they wanted. They did. Those three did not
require lots of mentoring, they were quick to build sources, make a match and
use KDE development tools and got an account very quickly.
We also got lots of Indian students enthusiatically contributing to GSoC and
SoK after we met them at conf.kde.in.

In the past I got people through this mentoring page but I don't recall anyone
mentioning this recently.

Best regards,

Anne-Marie
(who gets verbose when it comes to help new contributors)