List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo]  KDE users...
From:       Lukas <1lukas1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-04-25 22:17:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi,

This is the first letter briefly talking about the results of the Little
Game survey.

The mostly repeated groups we should target in survey were: regular/Average
Joe users; friends; developers, sysadmins, people inserted into free
software, schools, small businesses, online e-shops, retailers. It makes
sense, and we are already going towards them, great :)

On the other hand, many refereed groups were too generic to be used as
promotion groups and we probably should split them into much smaller
segments. Whats fits QT developers, won't work on Ruby or vice versa.

Interesting thought was to think about retailers like Newegg. While there
not many manufacturers, who produces KDE/Linux preinstalled laptops, it
doesn't mean KDE setup cant be done at retailer level. As long as it is
possible for retailer to order an "empty" laptop, they can set up OS
locally. Having in mind, how tiny profits retailers earn (its like 3-12%
before subtracting expenses, taxes) per item, while MS could account for up
to 25+% of the PC cost. Installing KDE based distributions (even having to
spend some tome to do so) is at the retailers interest.  Does someone know
people working at retailer level to dig a bit more?

Whats also interesting - enterprises/large companies was never mentioned
(unless system admins was intended to represent them). Is it the moral
issues (free as speech philosophy against money making companies), or many
believe that KDE is too young to be acceptable (like stability issues?)?

----
As for the first part, I've created a Google document
http://bit.ly/fKkDu0(should be editable) where the possible key KDE
user groups are listing.

The importance of this document is first to identify and know who exactly we
are targeting at. The final user not always is the one who makes the
decision, as well as the decision maker does not always makes it without
someones help. The support requirements and understanding where, how and why
PC's are used is also affects decisions.  I hope we don't want to waste our
precious time pitching to wrong people or with wrong ideas.

Also we must prioritize and select limited list (probably up to 2-5 groups
at the same time), not because some users are better than other, but simply
because we cant afford to work on them all due to lack of time and people.

I hope this could be considered as a mini homework before the Promo Sprint
:)

Cheers,

Lukas