Hi Lukas, On Tuesday 19 April 2011 01:48:07 wrote Lukas: > Hi Jos, > > I must to agree with you - a do-it attitude works better than a talk-it > <..>. The BIG question is how significant change it can give? > > If a single article can bring 2 new Linux users, we can call it an increase > of 10e9999% (if counted against zero from ML directly). Looking at the big > picture - it's too minor to minor to even discuss about. Various marketing > analysis shows, that it takes ~7-30 adds to convince person to buy the > product. If we want to have a real change and convince someone to "buy" the > ideas/benefits behind FOSS/KDE/Linux, we must ensure we can reach the > necessary scale to do so. Otherwise its just the same trolling on ML's :) Other marketing analysis show that most people had enough of traditional marketing, "convincing" the customer. Novell produced some "Linux" commercials, really well made, but the success... you know the answer. IMHO the more promissing way is to use viral marketing etc. The basis of that are / could be screencasts, small videos (e.g. showing the power of our software of the benefits of our communtiy), the booklet, and other really cool stuff, made by members of our community. There are enough ideas on the promo todo list. We don't need a big buget for that. But people who actually do the work! > It rises another issue. KDE is mature and still growing community. At the > same time, the management hadn't changed almost at all, and the > communication infrastructure simply fails under such enormous(how many > *_thousands_* contributors KDE has?) loads. I just don't have the same impression. For me your communication methods work rather well. > It means that we are fast > approaching (if not yet) the tipping point, when it will have to stop > growing (because its hard for new people to join and contribute efficiently > (working alone is never efficient/funny)). Sure, there are powerful group effects and we can surely improve our processes to integrate new contrutors even better in a team. > While tragedy of the > commonsdoes not > talk about IT, it describes very similar situation - once it > becomes impossible to know each other, the morality/productivity/etc drops > and community fails (imho, some smaller parts still can live separately). The most "moduls" which are the small, tight bound, important groups are not more than 20 people (in general). > Take a look at e.g. Amarok radio streams plugins, for each country we have a > separate reinvention of wheel. If time used to develop each plugin would > have been to create single solid system, I have no doubt - ShoutCast would > look like a tiny amateur project. > > Also, its damn hard to get a team even for the most interesting project (a > simple plasmoid can also be a project), unless you are either senior > developer either have to spend years developing it as a one man project. > Both leads to slower development of KDE, than its potential. > > The 20 (wo)men team can attract more webdevs, than 200 writers working > individually :) As I mentioned above I think we work in teams. > Answering your mail about project management software. It was suggested to > the promo people, and in more pilot project like way. I doubt there are > stock tool to fit KDE needs in general, but it doesn't change the fact, that > reworking this area will bring both time saving, and productivity increase. > > But that is a bit to deep issue to be solved on ML and I just hope sooner or > later it can be marked as done. > > Cheers, > > Lukas For starting contributions that matters to the community, I can underline what Jos wrote. Cheers, Thomas > > In general, if you are serious about making a difference, a do-it > > attitude works better than a talk-it. Ideas are cheap - we all have more > > ideas on what to do than time to execute them. If you want to do something > > KDE webdeve related, just start doing it. Maybe others have time to join > > you, maybe not. Brainstorming on the subject brings quite little value - > > while plenty of people will help you brainstorm, few will actually have time > > to contribute anything ;-) > > > > > > I'd recommend to pick a small thing that will obviously bring KDE closer to > > webdevelopers and do it. Writing an article about what KDE has for > > webdevelopers will help more than 100 threads on this ML, for example ;-) > > > > > > The LiveDVD idea is not bad at all, if it gets picked up it might be a nice > > tool. Or - do something for the websites of KDE to get web developers > > involved. Anyway, as I said - ideas are cheap, we've got plenty :D > > > > > > Cheers, > > > > Jos > > > _______________________________________________ This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. Visit https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, set digest on or temporarily stop your subscription.