List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: The Little Game - final version.
From:       Justin Kirby <justin () neomantra ! org>
Date:       2011-03-29 13:10:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Lukas <1lukas1@gmail.com> wrote:

> We already have 10 answers with some interesting thoughts. Super :)

Cool!  One thought...in terms of how we market this (if anyone is going to
blog about it) we might want to focus around it being about "idea
collection" rather than a typical survey.  I've gotten some comments from
people who have said

1) this data will be hard to analyze and
2) this looks like a lot of typing.

I think that in a traditional survey where you're trying to figure out the
most popular answer to certain questions the first part is a valid concern
but to me this is more about getting fresh/new ideas which we could use to
highlight KDE's strengths and potentially fix weaknesses, or the perception
of such weaknesses, rather than just trying to tabulate what answer came up
the most.

That second point is valid, but unfortunately for the type of information
we're trying to collect I think it's unavoidable.  If we had pre-selected
answers for people to just click radio buttons we wouldn't get any new ideas
out of the activity.  Hopefully it will at least mean anyone that takes the
time to answer will have some thoughtful input even if the total participant
count ends up being lower.

> That's one of the management issues within KDE (and probably 95%
> organizations in general). There are good tools/data/info, but nobody can
> find it easily enough...

As it turns out the best I could find was that http://survey.kde.org seems
to have been created by someone, but that apparently not much work has been
done yet (as you can see if you go there).  However Jeff suggested that
there is this thing called LimeSurvey (http://www.limesurvey.org/) which is
FOSS and apparently pretty good so maybe next time someone is looking for a
solution for this type of activity we could try it.

-Justin