List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Application letter
From:       Ingo Malchow <imalchow () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-03-16 15:47:53

2011/3/13 Lukas <1lukas1@gmail.com>:
> Oh, I forgot probably the most important point.
>
> Web development is mostly about creating best possible user interfaces. Having
> those developers on our side could turn into extra boost to KDE's usability
> ecosystem. There are plenty of dialogs, that would definitely need an extra
> hand, and people working full time with similar tasks can give productive
> suggestions :)
>
> Good night,
>
> Lukas

Hi Lukas,

to give some input to that, i am webdesigner in real life, but one of
those taking care of KDE's web infrastructure. And my work for KDE is
limited to just that, some design, some php code etc. I use Linux and
KDE since years exclusively, be privately or for work.
 And i can tell you (psst, it is a secret, luckily we are only talking
with each other ;) most of the apps i use are sadly not part of KDE
SC.
Of course, the working environment is set up in a way to be useful for
me, be it activities for different tasks, along with plasmoids like
RTM, colorpicker, pastebin widgets. Why? Because the KDE workspaces
rock and i can't even think of living without.
Anyway, the serious tasks, like coding, designing is done in other
apps. There are inkscape, gimp for design, and eclipse clones like
aptana or zend studio making coding easy. There is now a php plugin
for kdevelop which might be worth a shot but it is still not
fullfilling those special needs. Once there was quanta, what i worked
with. Not anymore. For small tasks you could also use Kate, of course.

This is only personal experience. But anyway this doesn't stop me from
promoting KDE anywhere. I even agree with you about your ideas in most
ways. I am just not sure how that could be fullfilled inside KDE (also
considering KDE's own natural lack of webdevelopers/-designers). The
webteam is getting better, but being better than zero should be no
surprise ;)
Whatever, just my 2 cents. If you need those webfolks, maybe even from
inside of KDE, feel free to poke me.

Cheerio,
Ingo