List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Application letter
From:       Justin Kirby <justin () neomantra ! org>
Date:       2011-03-12 21:37:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 2:49 PM, Lukas <1lukas1@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear KDE promo team,
>
> I'm Lukas Dzikaras, 22 year old economics student from Lithuania. I'm KDE
> user since 4.1 also have 5 years experience in PHP+MySQL+JS and co, and I'd
> like to join your team.

Hi Lukas, glad to hear you're interested in helping out!

> I'll try to contribute as much as I can, however my free time is a bit
> limited as I still have to study, work and start my own business :). But I
> bet most of you are in the similar situations, and it won't be a problem.

Yep, it's a volunteer effort so no worries about this.

> This weekend I finally sat down and wrote all ideas that came down to my
> head within last years related to expanding KDE user base, improving UX and
> making lives of everyone involved a bit more easy. It ended up with ~49
> major points list. A bit too much a single person can handle. I'll try to
> trim the list down to the most important points.

Awesome :)  Some of that will certainly be promo...depending on the scope of
your UX ideas and what the focus of "making lives of everyone involved a bit
more easy" that may need to be addressed elsewhere.  We have separate teams
which can address user experience (in the software itself) or other groups
if you're thinking of process related or administrative changes or
something.  If you can expand a bit on those points we can surely point you
to the right place to talk about them.

> Before starting "spamming" the mailing list (hope its the right one), I'd
> like to know if there is any rules regarding participation in this team?

Rules...hmm...be cool to people and they'll be cool to you and we'll
continue onward together doing cool stuff to promote KDE? :)  I don't think
there is much you should worry about beyond that in terms of rules.  However
you might find it useful to have a look at our wiki where we do keep lots of
useful information about all the things we're doing:
http://community.kde.org/Promo/.  That'll help get you familiar with how we
tend to operate and what we're already working on.

In particular, based on what you've mentioned above, I think you might want
to have a look at the "Jobs" page (
http://community.kde.org/Promo/Get_Involved/Jobs) and see if any of your 49
ideas fit within that context.  If some of them are simple tasks that just
require someone to put in the time and get them done then feel free to add
them there and start trying to find people (here or elsewhere) to help out
with addressing them.  Otherwise, if you have any questions just let us know
here on the list.  Welcome aboard!

-Justin