List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Booklet, version 7
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-02-02 22:33:22

On Wednesday, February 02, 2011 09:01:31 pm Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > Okay, just tell me what i should put on the left side of the cover.
> > > I can put everything you want, just tell me.
> > >
> > > What i think we need:
> > >
> > > Copyright
> >
> > 'Copyright 2011 Contributors '
>
> That's useless. In this case you can simply leave it out.

Yep, leaving it out is fine by me. (But is it any more useless than the
manifeslty untrue 'Copyright 2011 KDE e.V.'?)

> > Seems most true to me (copyright notices are basically meaningless
> > anyway and vague is ok - some Fedora stuff even says 'Copyright Red
> > Hat and others')
> >
> > > License
> >
> > I favour not specifying a license right now. That means whoever picks
> > it up has no rights and will have to contact us for permissions. Is
> > that a problem? Copying a printed version is kinda rubbish anyway,
> > better to have a proper licence on a downloadable version.
>
> Yes, IMHO not specifying a license would be highly problematic.
>
> One issue I have with this is that this might cause bad publicity
> because, effectively, we would be publishing the booklet under a non-
> free license.
>
> Another issue I have with this is that I would not be allowed to give a
> copy of the booklet (in electronic form or printed out) to anybody. All
> I could do is point others to the download link. That would be pretty
> lame.

Problem is:
- We didn't have the foresight here to get prior agreement on what licence the
work was under, therefore we do not have permission to release it as CC-by-sa
- One of us putting a CC licence on the cover is not valid because none of us
has the rights to do that
- It's not inconceivable that a contributor would be unhappy with a derivative
commercial use for example (permitted by CC-by-sa, which would be my choice)

Therefore I suggest we get that permission as quickly as possible (email the
listed contributors) and add the CC licence text /before/ we put it on a KDE
server for download. Then, once we make it available to download it is under a
free licence (and validly so).

What I didn't want to do is spend time doing that before getting printed
copies done for FOSDEM (if that is possible). Therefore sidestep it for the
first printed copies by not giving a licence.

Or, we can shut our eyes, stick a CC licence on it and ask people afterwards.
There won't be any objections from me - if there's even any of my stuff left in
there by now...

Cheers,
Stu