List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: possible promo sprint?
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-19 13:27:39

On Wednesday 19 January 2011 11:05:03 Mario Fux wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 19 Januar 2011, 11.37:51 schrieb Pau Garcia i Quiles:
> > On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
> Overall a great idea

+1

> but you forgot to CC: aaron (which is done herewith)
> and I've another question as the infrastructural and overall organizer of
> Randa2011.
>
> > <pgquiles@elpauer.org> wrote:
> > I've added one more item to the kde-promo sprint: "Sell" (advertise,
> > not $$$) kdelibs, kdepimlibs and calligralibs (former kofficelibs) to
> > third-parties as just one more module to Qt.

Yep, there are a few things we can do, often time dependent, but we can
discuss at the sprint - and before/after on list.

> > I'd like third-parties developing applications with Qt to consider the
> > KDE foundation libraries a something they can count on, something they
> > can freely use, an "enabler" that makes their applications much more
> > powerful, i. e. a conversation between Principal Developer and Senior
> > Developer would go like this:
> > PD: What libraries are we using for our new flight simulator?
> > SD: QtCore, QtGui, QtNetwork and QML for the GUI, OpenSceneGraph for
> > the 3D, calligralibs for the logbook (save in ODF, etc), kdepimlibs
> > for mail and integration with Exchange and kdelibs because it provides
> > some additional features like KIO, KParts, etc. We will use the Okular
> > KPart to show PDFs.
> > PD: Great! Thanks to the KDE foundation libraries we are saving so
> > much work and making our application so much powerful!
>
> Really like this and that would be a nice "quote" ;-).

Yep. We had that article about BetterInbox. More of that kind of stuff would
help raise awareness

http://dot.kde.org/2010/10/15/gregory-schlomoff-betterinbox-kde-development-
platform

> > Commercial-grade support is very important for companies, so we'd want
> > to talk to KDAB, Intevation, KO GmbH, etc and see if they are
> > offering/plan to offer support for kdelibs, kdepimlibs and
> > calligralibs. I assume kdepimlibs is supported by KDAB and Intevation
> > (and maybe someone else too?) and calligralibs is supported by KO GmbH
> > but we need to make sure, ask about pricing for a support contract
> > (orientative) and we need to find out about support for kdelibs (if
> > there is and who provides it).

Sure, to some extent we also rely on these companies to let us know about the
success stories so that we can publicise them (good for KDE and the
companies).

> > This is related to the "KDE modularization" and "KDE platform vs
> > framework" topics in the Platform 11 sprint which will take place in
>
> Would be great to have one of you promo guys in Randa to write news about
> what's happpening there (4 groups: Nepomuk, KDevelop/Kate,
> Multimedia/Amarok/Phonon and Core11).

Absolutely. It also would help those of us that are a bit less technical to
understand some of the directions you'll be taking.

> The meeting is from 1st to 7th of June.

There is a possibility I could go. Anyone else able to go? There may be
someone closer (I'm UK, probably still in June...)

Cheers,
Stu