List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: possible promo sprint?
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-19 13:27:39

On Wednesday 19 January 2011 11:05:03 Mario Fux wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 19 Januar 2011, 11.37:51 schrieb Pau Garcia i Quiles:
> > On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Pau Garcia i Quiles
> Overall a great idea

+1

> but you forgot to CC: aaron (which is done herewith)
> and I've another question as the infrastructural and overall organizer of
> Randa2011.
>
> > <pgquiles@elpauer.org> wrote:
> > I've added one more item to the kde-promo sprint: "Sell" (advertise,
> > not $$$) kdelibs, kdepimlibs and calligralibs (former kofficelibs) to
> > third-parties as just one more module to Qt.

Yep, there are a few things we can do, often time dependent, but we can
discuss at the sprint - and before/after on list.

> > I'd like third-parties developing applications with Qt to consider the
> > KDE foundation libraries a something they can count on, something they
> > can freely use, an "enabler" that makes their applications much more
> > powerful, i. e. a conversation between Principal Developer and Senior
> > Developer would go like this:
> > PD: What libraries are we using for our new flight simulator?
> > SD: QtCore, QtGui, QtNetwork and QML for the GUI, OpenSceneGraph for
> > the 3D, calligralibs for the logbook (save in ODF, etc), kdepimlibs
> > for mail and integration with Exchange and kdelibs because it provides
> > some additional features like KIO, KParts, etc. We will use the Okular
> > KPart to show PDFs.
> > PD: Great! Thanks to the KDE foundation libraries we are saving so
> > much work and making our application so much powerful!
>
> Really like this and that would be a nice "quote" ;-).

Yep. We had that article about BetterInbox. More of that kind of stuff \
would  help raise awareness

http://dot.kde.org/2010/10/15/gregory-schlomoff-betterinbox-kde-development-
 platform

> > Commercial-grade support is very important for companies, so we'd want
> > to talk to KDAB, Intevation, KO GmbH, etc and see if they are
> > offering/plan to offer support for kdelibs, kdepimlibs and
> > calligralibs. I assume kdepimlibs is supported by KDAB and Intevation
> > (and maybe someone else too?) and calligralibs is supported by KO GmbH
> > but we need to make sure, ask about pricing for a support contract
> > (orientative) and we need to find out about support for kdelibs (if
> > there is and who provides it).

Sure, to some extent we also rely on these companies to let us know about \
the  success stories so that we can publicise them (good for KDE and the
companies).

> > This is related to the "KDE modularization" and "KDE platform vs
> > framework" topics in the Platform 11 sprint which will take place in
>
> Would be great to have one of you promo guys in Randa to write news about
> what's happpening there (4 groups: Nepomuk, KDevelop/Kate,
> Multimedia/Amarok/Phonon and Core11).

Absolutely. It also would help those of us that are a bit less technical to \
 understand some of the directions you'll be taking.

> The meeting is from 1st to 7th of June.

There is a possibility I could go. Anyone else able to go? There may be
someone closer (I'm UK, probably still in June...)

Cheers,
Stu