List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: possible promo sprint?
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-12 16:21:55

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 03:02:38 pm Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 4:39 AM, Justin Kirby <justin@neomantra.org> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > I'm not sure if I was just talking directly with Stu about this or if it
> > was on this list but the last promo sprint was in Oct/Nov of 2009.
> > We're definitely due for another one.  So who's game for meeting up in
> > person to spend a long weekend (probably a Friday-Sunday) working on
> > promo stuff?  If we can get a group of motivated people to put an agenda
> > together I'll submit a proposal to the board.  Let's start with who's
> > interested before we move on to what we'll be doing :)
> > -Justin
> > p.s. don't let money be the thing that prevents you from coming, we can
> > get funds from the e.V. to help cover travel costs.
>
> I'm not sure I'm "qualified" to attend a promo sprint but I'd like the
> promo team to consider other platforms. Twofold:

Yes, we should discuss this, I added it to the wiki page

Btw, if you are interested, please add yourself
http://community.kde.org/Promo/Scratchpad/Sprint2011

> - Users. So far KDE has been used mainly by Linux users. It's also
> widely adopted in the BSD desktop world, as small as it be. But what
> about Mac and Windows? It's absolutely marginal there, which leads me
> to...

Windows we could do a lot better with, but thanks to some people like you
there is some news at least. For Mac, I don't have a clue what is going on -
some people at Akademy told me the situation is not bad, however, I've tried
to sell KDE apps to Mac using friends and none of them have had any luck...

> - Developers. If we can get even a small percentage of Windows and Mac
> users, it may bring a good number of developers to KDE. With my
> kde-windows hat on, I must say we badly need more developers,
> especially packagers (in particular, people who maintain third-party
> dependencies).

Yep

> Those are exactly the reasons I started the "Platforms" series in
> BehindKDE. The first interview even got Slashdotted :-)

Yeah, that was cool :-)

Btw, did you find contacts for behindkde? I think Igo Malchow and Tom Albers
are involved there... For getting those interviews advertised on the dot, just
ping dot-editors@kde.org, preferably a few days before the interview goes
live.

Cheers,
Stu