List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: possible promo sprint?
From:       Pau Garcia i Quiles <pgquiles () elpauer ! org>
Date:       2011-01-12 15:02:38

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 4:39 AM, Justin Kirby <justin@neomantra.org> wrote:
> Hey all,
> I'm not sure if I was just talking directly with Stu about this or if it was
> on this list but the last promo sprint was in Oct/Nov of 2009.  We're
> definitely due for another one.  So who's game for meeting up in person to
> spend a long weekend (probably a Friday-Sunday) working on promo stuff?  If
> we can get a group of motivated people to put an agenda together I'll submit
> a proposal to the board.  Let's start with who's interested before we move
> on to what we'll be doing :)
> -Justin
> p.s. don't let money be the thing that prevents you from coming, we can get
> funds from the e.V. to help cover travel costs.

I'm not sure I'm "qualified" to attend a promo sprint but I'd like the
promo team to consider other platforms. Twofold:

- Users. So far KDE has been used mainly by Linux users. It's also
widely adopted in the BSD desktop world, as small as it be. But what
about Mac and Windows? It's absolutely marginal there, which leads me
to...

- Developers. If we can get even a small percentage of Windows and Mac
users, it may bring a good number of developers to KDE. With my
kde-windows hat on, I must say we badly need more developers,
especially packagers (in particular, people who maintain third-party
dependencies).

Those are exactly the reasons I started the "Platforms" series in
BehindKDE. The first interview even got Slashdotted :-)

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org