List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: News about KDE
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-09 9:10:41

On Thursday 09 December 2010 04:53:03 Justin Kirby wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Oriol Mirosa <omirosa@ssc.wisc.edu> wrote:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > Today I came across a three-month old article by Bruce Byfield titled "7
> > Things
> > You Can Do in KDE But Not in Windows". As I was reading it, I thought
> > that it
> > was interesting and that I would like to forward it to some people, and I
> > wished that I had found out about it when it first came out. That led me
> > to thinking: do we have any established way of tracking and
> > disseminating news about KDE? Is there anybody taking care of this? Is
> > this something that, given
> > current policies, could be done through facebook, twitter, etc.? If the
> > answer
> > to these questions is 'no', do people think this would be worth spending
> > time
> > doing, and would you have any suggestions about how to go about this?
>
> I don't personally know of anyone aggregating these types of articles on a
> consistent basis but it seems valuable to me.  I think potential areas for
> distribution of summary stories about such KDE articles could be:
>
> * a regular spot on the Dot, say maybe a weekly or monthly report that
> covers what the wider open source community is saying about KDE

Yep, if someone/some people are up for writing these then we can publish them

> * regular blog posts summarizing these things on the planet

Yep. Anyone on Planet could (and should) feel free to do this

> * submission of these summary stories to some other news source such as
> prominent 3rd party open source web sites, our KDE facebook page

I try and pick stuff up for Facebook - you can ping me or the list with
suggestions

> , linkedIn
> group,

> kde forums, etc.
>
> In short, if you have the time, I'd say it'd be fantastic to have this
> information aggregated and posted somewhere on a regular basis.  If you
> don't have the time to take care of it personally I'd say you should at
> least add it as a task item on the wiki (
> http://community.kde.org/Promo/Get_Involved/Jobs) so that someone else
> might pick it up and run with it.

I'd be happy to see a set of pages at community.kde.org/Promo/Material/KDE in
the News/2010 etc that aggregated these. Particularly after releases and
events like Akademy we sometimes have a look to see what news impact we had,
but don't really document the results, other than in the occasional dot
article.

Facebook, Linked In, microblog admins could then subscribe to watch that page
and get updates when there is something new that might be worth posting.

Cheers,
Stu