List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: start of elevator pitch for plasma on devices
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-11-19 9:56:46

On Friday 19 November 2010 00:47:51 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday, November 18, 2010, Carl Symons wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> > > On Thursday, November 18, 2010, Carl Symons wrote:
> > So this really boils down to that it's best for Plasma for Plasma and
> > MeeGo to be closely tied. Is that your view?
>
> it's our strongest full solution, yes.

Slightly offtopic, but do you think anyone other than Nokia will pick up MeeGo
in the mobile space? I know MeeGo is also very relevant to set top boxes, in
car and the like - just wondering what the prospects are for 'choose Plasma
and have your mobile apps be device agnostic" is, before possible Qt on
Android.

> > The pitch to a supplier that has already decided on MeeGo would be,
> > "Choose Plasma."
>
> i agree, though i don't want to over commit on MeeGo either. the pitch i've
> started would most likely end up in front of suppliers that have already
> decided on MeeGo in the short term; mid-to-long term we should be able to
> get it in front of those who might be looking at Android or other stacks.

Ok, cool.

> > I've been working with someone who is developing Android apps with
> > Titanium. It ain't that great, but it's the best choice for what he
> > wants. By contrast, I've followed your comments and others about
> > developing Plasmoids. It seems like a far easier and more effective
> > path. Courting the developer community seems like a tunnel with some
> > cheese in it.
>
> i agree .. once there are devices with Plasma on it. it's unrealistic at
> this point in time to expect an app developer to bundle the dependecies
> from libplasma on down for their Android (or other platform) app.
>
> if Qt bubbles up on Android, and kdelibs mobile profile is nailed down
> sweetly and packaged for Android, then we have a chance. so i agree it's a
> tunnel with some cheese in it, but we don't have entry to that one at all
> yet.
>
> there is work on such things as Qt for Android as well as kdelibs mobile.
> so there is hope.

Yay :-)

> right now our best bet is getting devices to ship with kdelibs and to use
> Plasma as that gives something for developers to target. we are starting to
> see some early successes here, but we're in our absolute infancy here
> still.
>
> btw, the kdelibs elevator pitch would include Plasma, Kontact Mobile and
> FreOffice (aka "KOffice Mobile"). but in that wiki page i'm focussing on
> the Plasma issue first and foremost.

In another email you said
"there are already more Plasmoids that work nicely on an N900 style
device than there are Maemo apps that i can download for my N900."

Which would be a very good point to make imho (that makes me go 'wow', even
though it maybe says more about the lack of Maemo apps)

> > > it's more portable, more open, multi-device (the "one plasmoid,
> > > multiple device target customizations" is completely unique right now
> > > to Plasma), has better and more language options and generally faster
> > > to develop for than the alternatives.

The one plasmoid multi device thing is super cool - imagine a plasmoid on your
set top box that you can share over your wifi with your n900 so you can
interact with it directly on the phone and make stuff happen on the tv screen

> > That is a pretty good start to an effective elevator pitch right
> > there.
>
> it's succinct and full of beneficial attributes. it lacks, however, the
> "why it matters to me" bit ... which is: "lower cost with faster time to
> market".

Can we also add something about an ecosystem of developers already targeting
Plasma - so essentially if you put Plasma on your device and include GHNS then
your customers have hundreds of cool widgets to use without you doing anything
(yes, some/many probably need customising for small devices)

> > So they should easily get the ecosystem message. However, competing
> > with Android could be a slog. Is this an issue really?
>
> it is, unfortunately. Android has an awesome foothold right now, the
> question is if it can maintain it. personally, i don't think it can long
> term. Android and iOS will likely remain significant players in the
> market, but will both likely shrink in absolute importance over time.

I agree. iOS looked pretty unassailable two years ago and Nokia is big enough
to make MeeGo matter in the mobile market. For other devices, it is very
interesting, but Intel are big there so I'm also optimistic.

> i'd be very happy with our performance if the Plasma, Kontact Mobile,
> Marble and FreOffice became the de facto, "no brainer" choices for MeeGo
> devices in their respective categories. we have the opportunity to stand
> tall, but we need to be able to tell that story well.

I'd be delighted with that :-) I would however like these to be recognisably
KDE apps rather than just based on the code. FreOffice is great, but it probably
doesn't suggest KOffice to people who don't know us already. If we can get
Kontact on devices as 'Kontact' and Marble as 'Marble' it could be very
exciting (for example Marble in the pure Qt version is already great on
Windows) and raise the profile of KDE among a whole new set of users.

I'll also try and poke the wiki page :-)

Cheers,
Stu