List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo]  Kontact Mobile and Kolab Server in the Re:  booklet,
From:       Bernhard Reiter <bernhard () intevation ! de>
Date:       2010-09-30 14:36:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 17 September 2010 14:36:33 Damien Tardy-Panis wrote:
> > I would personally add well working Groupware Servers as examples,
> > but I only know about Kolab Server. (Full disclosure: I am with the group
> > that create Kolab Server and I am also in the board of kolabsys.com so I
> > have a business interest in it.)
> > Would it be okay to add Kolab Server as an example? It is fully Free
> > Software.
>
> I don't see any problem to add them between brackets in the appropriate
> section. I think that's great to "build bridges" between different Free
> Software projects like what we did with Openstreetmap (in the Marble
> section). It's not much, just a reference, but I think that this way
> curious people could discover new interesting things.

Oh, good. I would appreciate if you added the info, because
I am not on top of the status of the quality of the connectors
to other groupware server, so I am not sure I should mention them.
(I believe they should only be mentioned if they work reasonably,
which is indicated by a significant number of users that have them in
real production environment.)

> Should I also see about adding something about Kontact mobile?

That would be wonderful as well.

> We talk about "KDE Mobile" only later in the booklet. I don't think that
> would very useful to write a lot about Kontact mobile. If you want to add
> something about it, it could be just a sentence or two indicating its
> presence and the fact that you can organize your personal and professional
> life both on your smartphone and your computer (and synchronize them ?).
> I think that's a good point that should be added but no need to write
> another section for that.

I agree that is a good point. (Yes, it is possible to "sync" Kontact Mobile,
because it is a full blown email and groupware client. So if you use an IMAP
server, e.g. a Kolab Server, all clients can access the same data and all
changes will affect them. )

The difference of Kontact Mobile to other "handheld" device mail and calender
application is that you really get very complete application, which is
comparable to Kontact itself, including end-to-end email security.

Best,
Bernhard

Deputy Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998