List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] booklet
From:       Felix Michel <felix_michel () gmx ! ch>
Date:       2010-09-16 18:26:41

> > <snip>

> > > thanks Kurt. i only used this font once and it is not really useful for
> > > my purpose because i need a bold version of this font. i am new at this
> > > whole pdf printing stuff, so i am happy to get some hints. maybe we
> > > should provide to versions, one without indesign signature and so on
> > > and the other one for printing the booklet. what do you think?
> > >
> > > cheers
> > >
> > > felix
> >
> > How about using an open source DTP application? Say KWord? Or Scribus
> > if KWord functionality is not adequate to the desired result. I'm
> > pretty green with KWord, so I don't know if it can produce a pdf such
> > as kde_booklet. Scribus certainly can.
> >
> > This is kde-promo. I don't feel good about promoting one of the strong
> > proprietary software oligopolists. Especially when open source
> > alternatives are so close at hand.
>
> In principle, you're right of course :-) Ideally, as you say, we're KDE and
> we should use KWord.

i never used kword before, but i asked jos (but i didnt send this email to the
kde-promo list) which app i should use.

here the email:

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Felix Michel <felix_michel@gmx.ch> wrote:
> sounds awesome.

Sure does ;-)

> i try to make the draft by  the end of this week. Which app should i use? is
> it alright if i use indesign or do you prefer srcibus (or something else, i
> only know this app)?

Anything is fine I'd say, I personally don't care much. Maybe Nuno has
comments (on CC).

Yep, kde-promo@kde.org (you can subscribe here:

> thanks,
>
> cheers

Thanks in advance!

for me it is still possible to use scribus, i never used it before but i dont
think that the differences are that big.

i dont like using windows and if i dont have to fire up a virtual machine to
work on the booklet, i am happy too. the only problem: i dont know sribus, so
if somebody knows scribus, it would be cool and helpful.

it is awkward to promote an opensource environnment with a closed source app.

cheers

felix