List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Science
From:       Thomas Thym <ungethym () mevin ! net>
Date:       2010-08-24 20:40:04

2010/8/19 Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis@gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 18 August 2010 10:40:59 Thomas Thym wrote:
> > +1 for inviting the RKWard team to KDE
>
> Sure. But I think this comes better from someone in KDE Edu. Luca has been
> doing an interview with the main developer so there's a contact there if you'd
> like one.
>
> > -1 for splitting KDE EDU.
> > As the boundaries between apps for school and for science (the math
> > and chemistry apps come to my mind) and the feedback from the KDE EDU
> > team I am against the split into two teams.
>
> Again, I tend to agree. But I also don't think Edu team organisation is really
> any of my business ;-)
>
> > So here is the idea:
> > The plan is to analyze the main challenges for a certain market group
> > (e.g. schools or universities) and offer solutions how they could
> > solve their tasks with KDE Software and other software, incl.
> > providing some external links.
> >
> > In education you need the KDE EDU apps as well as a workspace and
> > other programs like a writer or image manipulation programs or what
> > ever. The application oriented presentation (developer perspective)
> > has limitations here (you can't put krita or kword into KDE EDU).
> >
> > See my first draft for "KDE4schools" / "KDE@schools" here:
> > http://community.kde.org/User:Ungethym/KDE4Schools
> >
> > So, what do you think about it?
> >
> This makes sense, but what's the intended end result? A reworking of
> information on kde.org to be presented by user type rather than by application
> type? I'm not against that but it's a lot of a work and a long way away.

My intention was to analyse the major tasks for the "target group" and
present them possible solutions. Perhaps a table could also do the
job.

Webbrowsing => konqueror / rekonq
Writing => KWord (?) / OpenOffice.org
Organizing references => JabRef or whatever
Statistical analyses => Cantor / RKWard
Viewing PDFs => Okular

> The changes I proposed for science are quick. However, there may be valid
> questions about why other groups shouldn't be included too. I'm just a bit
> concerned that we can spend a lot of time on working though use cases (which
> is valuable) and in 3 years time we'll have perhaps several of those worked
> out but nothing will have changed for the outside world.

Quick wins are always better than big projects.

Cheers,
Thomas