List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Akonadi messaging strategy
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-07-17 21:41:35

On Saturday 17 July 2010 15:28:30 Dion Moult wrote:
> On Saturday 17 July 2010 06:48:46 Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> > > Correct me if I am wrong, but "KDE PIM 4.5 will be able to connect to
> > > most calendar servers out on the web" does not belong in the "do cool
> > > things with Akonadi TODAY". I don't think PIM 4.5 is yet available to
> > > the masses.
> > >
> > > In the "what will be possible" section, there seems to be quite a few
> > > repetitions, such as the "access to data from everywhere, seamless", and
> > > the "easier to connect to services". Or the single sub bullet under
> > > "synchronize with anything" should be made top level. Simple grammatical
> > > errors there can be fixed quickly.
> >
> > Please just fix the simple stuff - if things might be controversial ask
> > here, but simple things - just fix ;-)
> >
> > > The header "it solves real world issues" is repeated in the first bullet
> > > "EXAMPLES of real world issues solved by Akonadi ", don't repeat it.
> > >
> > > What is "KDE PIM Messaging " under the "issues it might have that might
> > > bight you" section?
> > >
> > > Seems to be some wiki markup problem in the "distro communication"
> > > section on what you shouldn't ship, and in the "quality" section.
> > >
> > > Good progress so far. Looking forward to seeing the finished page.
>
> (Sorry Jos, I forgot to CC kde-promo and kde-pim on this and ended up only
> sending it to you)
>
> Actually I recall this thread from a while back. I was quite busy then tending
> to exams but now that they're over I decided to spend this morning fixing the
> page up. I've made it much more concise whilst still keeping all the details
> intact. I've moved things around here and there where they would be more
> appropriate and removed some of the repetitive things.
>
> It's now a nice lean page for anybody to read and immediately understand
> exactly what Akonadi is, why it's beneficial, and how KDE loves its users and
> understands the possible issues that may occur.
>
> There we go:
> http://community.kde.org/Promo/Strategy/Akonadi
>
> Comments much appreciated.

I like it. What I currently miss on the page are soundbites, short pieces people will \
need. It is quite a bit of text, and it'd be good to see if there is stuff duplicated \
(seems not to be the case) or not really needed (there might be some). We need to \
ship this to people at booths, and as such it needs to be as short as possible - we \
can't force our booth dudes and dudettes to read 20 pages of text before they start \
doing their thing... Bullet points are good ;-)