List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Akademy work TODO
From:       Ryan Rix <ry () n ! rix ! si>
Date:       2010-06-26 7:52:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

<jospoortvliet@gmail.com>wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > There is a bunch of things which need taking care of for Akademy. I hope
> > someone can take up some of these things.
> >
> > - the press kit. It's mostly done, just needs to be turned into pretty
> > PDF's and printed before Akademy. (IOW not lot of work, but I really need
> > someone to take care of it so I can take my mind of it)
>
> What format are they in right now?  I could probably convert them to PDF
> and do some formatting at least.  Not sure about getting them printed
> though.
>
> > - there are a few interviews I've set questions out for, I'd love someone
> > who could do the finishing touch once they're answered (if ever...)
> > - I'd like to have content like a livecd or something to download/put on
> > cd's with magazines etc, something concrete and 'exclusive for akademy'.
> > Anyone has any ideas he/she might be willing to put time into?
> >
> > Need ideas:
> > - for press conference. I've asked 2 board members and both keynote
> > speakers to be there. Who else should/could be there? Ideas?
>
> That's probably enough people.  In all the academic/professional
> conferences I've attended the speaker panels never really number more than
> 4-5 people otherwise it gets too hard to manage both for organizers and
> for journalists to come up with good questions for everyone.
>
> > - I would like to have a list of ppl for journalists to interview - IOW
> > suggestions for them. Any ideas on who?
>
> I think really anyone on the speaker's list would be a good potential
> interview candidate since they're all talking about something interesting.
> After all the journalists will be seeing these people speak and that is
> likely (hopefully!) to generate further questions about what they're
> presenting on.
>
> > At Akademy itself:
> > we need a team of ppl to do the promo stuff.
> > A few have signed up already, but I think we need more... So?
> >
> > Tasks:
> > need ppl 'guarding' the press room
>
> I think everyone else probably feels the same here...I doubt any of us want
> to guard the room the whole time as we don't want to miss all the talks but
> I'd be happy to take a turn at doing this.

I can run a shift of this as well, I suppose.

> > need ppl to do regular status updates (twitter)
>
> Can definitely help with this when not sitting in the press room.

I'll be doing this anyways, at least to the !akademy and !kde groups on
identi.ca

> > need someone to make pictures, post on flickr or something & for dot
> > articles
>
> My camera kind of sucks but I will post everything I take in case someone
> finds it useful.
>
> need ppl to write for interviews, dot articles etc
>
> pssibly ppl for doing interviews with video and/or audio!
>

> Someone did an interview with me at SELF just on a handheld camera to learn
> about KDE.  In retrospect, despite the video being a little shaky in places
> I still think the idea was cool.  It gives a really raw "in the field" type
> of feeling to the video and it's pretty easy to do.  Since I've got access
> to the KDE Promo YouTube channel I think I might give this a try.  We could
> setup a sub-channel and dedicate it to short interviews like this.

Can I make one suggestion/recommendation? A touch of editing. At Fedora's
Marketing meetup in March, we met with one of Red Hat's PR team, Colby Hoke
who provided us with an awesome video interview of how to perform video/audio
interviews.

http://blip.tv/file/3396406
http://blip.tv/file/get/PhrkOnLsh-colbyoninterviews214.ogv

* Frame the questions so that the person being interviewed sort of has to
repeat the question in their answer ("What is your favorite part of KDE"
rather than "why is kdepim your favorite part of KDE" for example)
* Edit yourself out.
* Keep it short! (3-5 minutes) yes, I know that this video interview is longer
than that :P
* Title/credit, with url for more info.

A few minute editing goes a long way! And a few minutes review... I uploaded
this back in March, just noticed that two of the sections have the same title.
That's probably all common sense, but at least it's documented somewhere now
;)

I'll have my stills camera which can take low resolution video. If there's an
opportunity for video interview, I will get something together, but will also
be bringing a straight up voice recorder, as well.

But, yeah, you can fill me in where needed mr Josman :)

Ryan

> > Signed up:
> > Stu (sometime Fri - sometime Wed, hopefully) Can do interviews, writing
> > stuff, photos...
> > Troy Unrau - will help with writing
> > Jos Poortvliet - you know ;-)
>
> It now sounds like I will be in Tampere from sometime on Friday until
> Wednesday morning.
>
> > Love all,
> > Jos

Ryan Rix