List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] A suitable subject for dot kde?
From:       "Andrew G." <andrewg47 () ymail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-30 13:54:59

Over the last year I have developed some 'Information Management' software - a \
flexible database which allows a mixture of types of data to be stored. The software \
is inspired by Blackwell Idealist, which was available for Windows 95 and disappeared \
a long time ago. Before I started writing it, I looked hard for some similar software \
that is already available and found none. I did find that a lot of effort has gone \
into developing the underlying technologies, e.g. for text indexing and searching. \
Despite all this effort, the choice of desktop applications remains limited. There is \
still a small Idealist community out there,

http://osbloggery.blogspot.com/2007/12/after-idealist.html

So I started learning Qt and SQL from scratch. I wrote in Python to save time, and I \
decided to use Canonical Storm instead of using SQL directly. The result one year \
later is a demonstration program, fairly bug-free, but lacking text searches and \
import/export facilities. The records have a free format and can contain any \
combination of fields, just like in Idealist.

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Knowledge?content=111504

My purpose in writing is to ask if this would be a suitable subject for a dot.kde \
article. Publicity would be welcome, as I would like to find some volunteer coders to \
take the idea forward. Although I have put a lot of effort into getting the project \
off the ground, there are people out there with far more expertise than me, some of \
whom might find motivation to work on an interesting (and useful) project.

Would you consider a short article on this to be suitable for dot.kde?

Andrew G.