List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Marketing, KDE PIM and You
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-28 10:40:05

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 at 05:16 pm Aaron J wrote:
> On May 26, 2010, Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> > The question I have is how to we make this stuff more visible (or at least
> > easily discoverable) to people going to various local events/talking to
> > people about KDE. Will they find it on the Promo wiki and if not should it
> > be somewhere else or how do we make sure they do find it?
>
> the same way we spread the word about techbase: by blogging about it, by
> mentioning it (supportively :) here on the promo list where those who get
> involved lurk, by casually tagging up with people who are giving KDE
> presentations at events or doing interviews, etc. basically, we just need to
> _talk_ about the existence of the pages to each other within the KDE
community
> and ensure there is content on them.

Also should be linked from:
http://www.kde.org/community/getinvolved/promotion/

That page in general needs a fair bit of work - is spreadkde still active or
are we just moving good content in to the wiki? Perhaps it's another thing we
can get stuck in to at Akademy.

> thinking about this last night a bit more crystalized this part of the
puzzle
> in my head that may not be immediately obvious until spelled out explicitly
> (it wasn't to me! :) ==>
>
> kde-promo is full of activity, but it's not all the same kind of activity.
> different people are doing different kinds of promo and communications
> support.

Yes. Good thing is that once someone gets involved in one part, they often get
drawn in to other areas too. I only signed up for writing Dot articles ;-)

> just witness Anne's emails on Userbase, the work on having shirts and
> other merch, work on release announcements and other "set piece" press
> announcements and my (& other's) focus on getting grass roots communication
> tighter.
>
> as kde-promo continues to grow, we're going to need to be able to recognize
> these different goals and tasks, all of which are needed and valid and
> appreciated, and find ways to support or at least not block each other in
> achieving them. sometimes we inadvertently block each other when someone is
> doing something that isn't what we're doing. :) innocently, of course, but
it
> happens.

Yes, for example there have been some duplicated efforts at times.

> these are the things i'd like to discuss with others @ akademy (just to make
> that offer more concrete and expose more of what i'm thinking on these days
> w/regards to promo & communication)

Yep, will be quicker to get people together and discuss

Cheers,
stu