List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Dot categories revisited (was: Re:  dot and kdenews)
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-10 16:07:55

On Monday 10 May 2010 at 03:19 pm Justin Kirby wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 6:40 AM, Mike Arthur <mike@mikearthur.co.uk> wrote:
> > On 9 May 2010, at 21:40, Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> > > Ultimately, we could set up a separate category for these and allow them
> > to be
> > > shown/hidden with respect to reader preferences and maybe send them to a
> > > separate RSS feed as the Dot gets syndicated to Facebook and Identica
> > etc.
> > >
> > > Me nudges Mike Arthur who was talking about dot categories/tags a while
> > ago
> > > ;-)
> >
> > Yes, I'd like this a lot. I still never heard back about this

Sorry Mike, looking back at that old thread, you never did get info on access.
I thought you had.

> > but I'd like
> > if I had a KDEPIM category/tag for anything KDEPIM related which can be
put
> > on the KDEPIM twitter/identi.ca/facebook page.
> >
> > What would be good is if we agreed on a certain number of tags and they
> > were vaguely accessible in the Drupal interface so whoever can just click
> > and select the correct ones before it's published.

Categories are accessible from a drop down when creating/editing content, but
not really from a reader's point of view. Reviewing the list (below) could be
a good idea and ideally I'd like to be able to apply mutliple tags rather than
a single category - if we have an interview about kde pim which category does
it go in?

> > Thoughts? If you think this is good, can you let me know who I'd need to
> > talk to about the technical side of this?

I don't know. The general Dot editor accounts don't give access to Drupal
administration options. I'm sure someone here knows though. At least, I hope
so ;-)

> Trying to remember where this left off last time...I think we sort of have
> this with the categories right?  Though to serve your specific purpose it
> looks like the best match is currently just "Applications" (
> http://dot.kde.org/taxonomy/term/13) which I know is too general for what
> you want to do with the output.  Maybe instead of coming up with a whole new
> tagging system we could just add a sub category option where it makes sense?

In fact http://dot.kde.org/category/dot-catgories/kde-pim exists too :-)

The problem really is that the categories are not very accessible at present -
you can only get to them as a reader (afaik) by clicking on the icon under
the date for some of the articles. For some categories that icon doesn't exist
- such as the most recent story which is in the 'interviews' category so
you've no hope of finding those unless you guess/know the url

The current category list is:
Accessibility
Administrivia
Applications
Community and Events
Desktop Environment
Developer
Documentation, I18N, L10N
Feature
Games
General
Graphics and Art
Guest Series
Interviews
KDE Advocacy, Discussions, and Rumors
KDE in Linux Distributions
KDE in the News
KDE Office Suite
KDE Official News
KDE on Unix and other platforms
KDE PIM
KDE Public Relations and Marketing
KDE Success Story
KDE Tweak of the Week
Konqueror
Multimedia
Qt
Quickies
Savanna Says
Sound and Music
Usability
User

Many of those I have never used. Some, such as 'Savanna Says' bewilder me
completely

> That's just my 2cents.  I'm not an official Dot reviewer though I might be
> able to help review at times if someone gives me access.  :)

Volunteering? You know it's a full interview process with application form,
phone and panel interviews and an assessment day? ;-)

> But for now, I
> bow to their opinions since they're the ones doing the work of classifying
> all these things.

When we remember :-) Forgetting to classify is my most common (Dot) sin,
though I usually notice it soon after publishing

Stu