List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] terms for non-core KDE apps
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-09 20:03:44

On Tuesday 04 May 2010 14:57:37 Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> On Monday 03 May 2010 at 10:32 pm Justin Kirby wrote:
> > On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Jos Poortvliet
> > > http://dot.kde.org/2010/05/03/being-kde it

> > The only thing I see in there that looks like you still need
> > feedback on is timing right?  Would 1 month from the publication of the
> > Dot article be appropriate?  I wouldn't think we'd need a super long
> > time, but would also want to give people a chance to put something
> > together in case the Dot article is the first time they have heard about
> > this activity.
>
> My suggestion was 2 weeks. 1 month? Yeah, it doesn't matter really as long
> as we set some deadline.

New (final?) draft:
http://dot.kde.org/2010/05/03/being-kde

I've put in "end of May" as the deadline, which is ok I think if this gets
published in the next few days. The voting can then start early in June, for
one week, then with tweaking of the winning design with the artist (if needed
- just scaling to a set of desired sizes etc) we can launch this officially in
early July - just before, at or after Akademy.

So - can I have any more feedback on this by the end of Tuesday? Then if there
are no big issues I'll see where it slots in to the Dot queue and get it
published.

The below doesn't have to be decided *now* (but before voting)

> > And then after closing submissions we give...2 weeks for voting?  I just
> > checked back for reference and the Javascript Jam was open for one week.
> > They didn't get a ton of votes though...maybe leaving it open an
> > additional week would help with that.
>
> A week is fine I think - 'two weeks' was for submissions (see above - I
> wasn't clear in my first email)

Yeah, or maybe a couple of weeks. I'll discuss with the forum peeps when I
finally get myself on to irc and look at vote options (input in reply here also
welcome of course)

> > That said, I've got to admit the voting system as it showed up to me on
> > the forums looks kind of confusing (
> > http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=157&t=86964&start=10).  I was
> > expecting some sort of summary or link at the top that I click on to
> > vote rather than hitting the +/- symbol by the options down below.
> > Also...can you really subtract votes as that UI implies?  That seems
> > sort of odd for this type of thing.
>
> I'll look in to this and chat to the forum peeps on irc. This doesn't
> necessarily have to be sorted before this article goes live, only for the
> follow up with the invitation to vote on the designs

So far: Jos, Justin, me - did I miss anyone?

Nuno and/or Eugene - want to have a say?

Others? More the merrier.

Of course, following UK election results, we also have to debate a voting
system: first past the post, alternative vote, single transferable vote... ;-)

> I was thinking similar to the Plasma Jam so the poll vote carries say 1/5th
> weighting. As for us, the more the merrier - we can scale our votes to the
> other 4/5ths (or any ratio we'd like to work with)

There are some updates to designs on the wiki for 3 out of 5 of the initial
designs and another promised.