List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] etherpad
From:       Jeff Mitchell <mitchell () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-04-24 12:41:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On 04/24/2010 07:56 AM, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> As I'm using the beautiful etherpad installation You have put online
> more and more, I'm wondering about backup, longevity and security. How
> are those?

Backup: I've been lax on this, because I wanted to wait until I switched
over to the ether/pad codebase, which I did mid-week. But I should
indeed put backups in place. I already have the paradigm down (I have
EtherPad setup at work and have it on a rotating backup schedule), so
it's a matter of doing it. I should be able to early next week -- feel
free to keep poking me about it until I say it's done.

Longevity: Not sure entirely what you mean by this. I plan on keeping it
up unless there is a reason to take it down. Once we get the new SSL
certs in place (we're waiting for approval from the board for the money)
then it'll go onto a kde.org domain. As for the code itself, there is an
active project that has sprung up to maintain it, of which I am a part.

If you notice it being down it's likely that either I took it down for
maintenance (unlikely without prior notification) or that it crashed
(which has happened before and could happen again). You're always free
to poke me about it. If it's emergency maintenance I'll likely be online
so poke me first; if not, if I'm not online, there are other sysadmins
(dirk, dfaure, toma?) with access to the server and in most cases after
verfiying that it did indeed crash (e.g. ps aux doesn't show etherpad)
then a simple /etc/init.d/etherpad stop; /etc/init.d/etherpad zap;
/etc/init.d/etherpad start should do it.

Security: Passwords are stored in a database in hashed form (MD5 or one
of the SHAs, not sure which) -- neither I nor anyone else can read them.
The site itself is protected via SSL. What other questions do you have?

> And I've noticed I can't give some ppl access and others
> not, or is that just my stupidity?

Unsure -- ping me about this privately with details of what you're
trying to do. I'm not aware of any restrictions in this way, but I've
also never seen any problems with it so if you're having a legit problem
I'll need more info.

> Aside from these, I'm loving etherpad. It's usable, easy, nice... and free ;-)

Great!

--Jeff