List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] swag for the shop
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-06 18:26:45

Jeez, I go away for a few days and awesomeness occurs :-)

On Tuesday 06 April 2010 05:22:11 Justin Kirby wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Shaun Reich <predator106@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I like the newest black Tee the most. I feel that all of the items should
> > have more than merely a logo, though. It should say KDE or kde.org in
> > some place, otherwise we aren't really getting our name out there :)
> > >
> To the group, when marketing these things do we prefer just kde.org over
> www.kde.org?  I didn't think about that until now.  I can change them if
> shorter is better.

I vote www. I know some people who are still puzzled by web addresses that
lack a www (true)

> Also, adding a line of text seems to add 3 dollars to the cost of the
> shirt.  If we submit logos that has text built in we could avoid that price
> hike.  See this item as an example:
> http://gearwear.spreadshirt.com/kde-messenger-bag-A5875456/customize/color/
> 126. It would be 3 bucks cheaper if we put the "www.kde.org" in the actual
> vector graphic.

Cunning :-) I did mean to ask about this a while ago, but I probably forgot

> By the way, so everyone knows, we can upload one more vector graphic and
> then no more until we sell 10 items.  It starts out at 3 total, but will
> get the ability to add 5 more after we sell 10 things.

Ok. On the other designs:

- I really like the heart/person logo of Eugene's (uploaded already).
- I love the concept in the open window design, but I would like a bit more of
an obvious "KDE" thing on it (perhaps the logo - yes I know it has www.kde org
on it). I'm also a sucker for slogans, in principle, though to be honest not
on stuff I buy ;-)
- Lee's added another design on the wiki
http://community.kde.org/Promo/Material/Swag - "it's time" with the K logo
built in to a clock. Perhaps it could do with simplifying a bit, but I like
the idea. Thoughts?
- Win/Mac/KDE, dunno what to do with this really. I can provide a mock-up of
the latest suggestions if that's helpful, but I don't think I have the skills
(or time anyway) to do the proper version. Personally, I'm not sure I would
buy it on a t-shirt, but probably on a mug or something... It could be made
quite simple - I can see it but not draw it :-)
- I've added another to the wiki, on the theme of "We are KDE". The idea is
that it is supposed to look like a crowd holding up cards (like you see at
football matches sometimes). Initially I think it could do with less cards
(3x6, 2x4?) to make it simpler and maybe some hands holding them, or bits of
people visible. any interest in developing this further? I have no time for
probably a week or so (writing a presentation, then off to a conference until
next Thurs) but I'd be more than happy for someone else to run with it.

Btw, spreadshirt shipping costs to Europe are prohibitive for a single item
(http://gearwear.spreadshirt.com/shop/info/shipping USD 15 - as much as the
bag for example). Can we open a European store too at some point - after we've
tested the demand with the US one - or is there another way around this?

Cheers,
Stu