List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE at LinuxFest Northwest
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-04-02 20:56:41

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 10:05 AM, Jimmy Johnson <JimmyJhn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Carl Symons wrote:
> > >
> > > Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:32:58 -0400
> > > From: Jeff Mitchell <mitchell@kde.org>
> > > Subject: Re: [kde-promo] KDE at LinuxFest Northwest
> > > To: kde-promo@kde.org

> > > I might be able to go in a pinch. Was there nobody else that was going
> > > to be attending? (Last year there were five of us.)
> > >
> > > --Jeff
> > >

> > There appears to be a pinch. If someone can work out being in
> > Bellingham for LinuxFest Northwest, it would be fruitful for the
> > Kause. The Fest will get decent coverage. It attracts people more
> > widely than just NW Washington state.
> >
> > Last year, KDE 4 was new; people were curious. Now the KDE initial
> > excitement has diminished in favor of opportunities for people to
> > participate in realizing the KDE promise. LFNW attracts the kind of
> > technical people who can help fulfill the promise.
> >
> > I'm one of the organizers and will be managing (if there is such a
> > thing at LFNW) the Tutorium and beginner program. The Tutorium will
> > feature Kubuntu Lucid and, most likely, other KDE-related distros. I
> > think that one of the raffle prizes will be a netbook running KDE
> > Netbook.
> >
> > It would be valuable to get some exposure for the elements of KDE that
> > appeal to more technical and more experienced people--developing
> > Plasma widgets; accessing Developer Platform capabilities; Semantic
> > Web.
> >
> > www.linuxfestnorthwest.org; April 24 & 25, Saturday/Sunday;
> > extracurriculars primarily at the Hampton Inn; entertainment less
> > controversial than last year.
> >
> > Let me know if there are questions or special requests.
> >
> > Carl
>

> Are there any sponsors?
>
> I'm in Southern California (Bakersfield) and have helped at Southern
> California Linux Expo, Debian Booth, I could burn MEPIS Live CD's featuring
> KDE4 and demo them.
>
> I'm retired, so dates and times or no problem.
> --
> Jimmy Johnson

Yes, there are a number of sponsors (shown down the homepage). LFNW is
lower key than SCALE, but similar. We have worked closely with Ilan
and crew from SCALE.

An exhibit table is free to non-profits. Someone just needs to sign up
(link also on the homepage). I think that it would be great to have a
KDE4 table showing the variety of distributions that run KDE4...or
just feature SimplyMEPIS.

OpenSUSE, Ubuntu and Fedora will have tables. We'll have Kubuntu
running in the Tutorium; it would be nice to have SimplyMEPIS running
as well.

Someone just needs to start the ball rolling. Jimmy, if you wish, you
could sign up for a table @ linuxfestnorthwest.org. I still think that
it would be appropriate to the audience to have more techie KDE
presence too.

Carl