List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] terms for non-core KDE apps
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-03-28 19:56:08

<jospoortvliet@gmail.com>wrote:
> > On Friday 26 March 2010 17:40:20 Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> > > Ok, so we have one design submitted for this:
> > > http://community.kde.org/Promo/Branding/Software_Label
> > >
> > > It's nicely executed, but a bit "Intel Inside"
> > >
> > > I'm disappointed we only got one submission. Are we asking in the wrong
> >
> > way
> >
> > > or are there really no people with art skills reading the dot beyond
> > > the usual suspects and those who contributed to this and the t-shirt
> > > designs?
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on how to move this along? Is what we have ok?
> >
> > One design - no, I don't think that's enough. Darn. Maybe kde-look.org
> > can host a request for help for us? Frank?
>
> I sent a couple friends an email about this to see if they would be
> interested in helping but just like the shirt design thing it seems like
> getting people to help with this stuff is a bit of a challenge.  What's
> confusing to me is that clearly LOTS of people like doing artwork.
> http://kde-look.org/ makes that incredibly clear as there are always new
> things being posted there.  Our KDE software is also loaded with brilliant
> artwork.  It seems like the problem must be communication here.  Are we
> just not reaching the majority of people who make all this stuff when
> putting out our calls for help with these projects?  Or is it possible
> that we're asking them to do something they're not interested in doing?
> Perhaps it's more fun and/or less stress to simply make 100 new
> backgrounds than the types of things we're asking for?

The t-shirts are different, we haven't done a bigs splash there but are just
privately asking a few peeps for their help.

And yes, imho we haven't reached enough people, also probably our
communication isn't good enough somehow? Either way, that's why I have added
Franky to this list, to get this request on kde-look.org - forums.kde.org is
another posibility.

> I'm hopeful it's just that our message isn't reaching enough people so how
> can we make contact with the rest of the community?  Some ideas...
>
> -We might want to start with a flurry of blog entries calling attention to
> this.  It's been said on this list many times that repeating things many
> times is necessary to get a message out.
>
> -Same thing with Twitter/Identi.ca - periodic posts from several of us that
> link to the wiki page and asks for help to the !KDE related groups might
> help
>
> -I think perhaps a banner on KDE-Look.org may be good but I don't see any
> place that would be appropriate or really stand out within the current site
> layout.  Where would this notice go?

Good question. I think the site design currently doesn't lend itself to being
used for communication a lot - something we might want to change. I think
further integration with KDE infrastructure would be nice, eg integrate the
mediocre forum-like functionality from kde-look in the kde forums or
something?!?

But that's not for now ;-)

Frank probably has ideas on where to put the request.

> -Another idea might be to try bringing our communication to the distro
> level.  Do we have any distro contacts who might be able to pass the word
> along to their communities?

Good idea, and if someone has names, let's remember them on the wiki ;-)

> -What about getting a banner up on the main http://kde.org/ page?

Not a bad idea either... But it needs designing ;-)

> -I can start a discussion about this on the KDE User LinkedIn group.

Please do.

> -Is there a way to post calls for help on things like this at our Facebook
> page?

Stuart?

> -Maybe we could post something on the KDE forums too if that hasn't been
> done already?  I can do this too.

Please go ahead!

> Thoughts on these things?  And can anyone help with them?

Besides the huge headache I have there aren't that many thoughts going around
in my head but you're on the right track. I think kde-look could be very
powerful and helpful, I hope frank can help there. Due to lack of time I
myself can't doo much, I'm afraid, but maybe ;-)