List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Learning lessons from release problems
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-02-18 21:36:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 12 February 2010, Anne Wilson wrote:
> RC3 was, for me, so smooth that I didn't really expect to see any
> major problems with 4.4.  However, the forum and lists are full of
> people that are having problems.  Mostly they are caused by what I
> understand to be a change in the Nepomuk database structure.
> Apparently some people picked up from somewhere the hint that any
> existing nepomuk database should be deleted, prior to updating, but
> despite the amount of reading I do, I didn't see that.
>
> I'm sure we'll gradually get people sorted and up and running again,
> but I'd like to try to avoid such a problem in the future.  The
> question is, how can we ensure that such important crumbs of
> information are spread around, preferably a few days before release?

The problem here really was the timing. The new version of Virtuoso was
released just a few days before KDE SC 4.4.0 (and after the last RC).
This didn't leave enough time for the packagers or us to ease the
upgrade path. There is no way to avoid such a problem from happening
again in the future except for forbidding dependencies on external stuff
that is ready "just in time for the release" (but not a second earlier).

Regards,
Ingo