Hi everyone, As a follow-up, just in case you don't know about it, Sebastian will give a talk on the current status and the future of Nepomuk in the CrossDesktop room at the FOSDEM next Sunday [1]. That'd be great to see some ItsMe contributors there for discussing any possible future synergies between the two projects. [1] http://www.fosdem.org/2010/schedule/events/xd_nepomuk Hoping to see you in Brussels, Cheers Stéphane Laurière, in charge of semantic and collaborative technologies at Mandriva > On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Vincenzo Di Massa > wrote: >> I CC Nico Sica, our PR person, and Giovanni Martinelli, our >> developement leader, so that KDE-promo has the contacts of the >> persons in the "control room". >> >> Then I CC Michele Tameni our "worst enemy" Gnome fanboy and itsme >> developer :-) > > Hi all! > >> Btw, it is not itsme talking to KDE here, it is Vincenzo speaking. >> Only Giovanni and Nico can speak for itsme. >> >> I answer inline ... >> >> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Jos Poortvliet >> wrote: > >>> Maybe it's worth an interview or you guys can host a meeting or >>> something sometime, that's a neath way of getting closer to the >>> KDE community. >> Nico, Giovanni: what about a meeting or hosting? Even skype call >> could be a nice start point. > > Depending on what and how much you do with KDE technology a story on > the dot might be possible. That's quite a high-profile site with many > other news sites picking it up. > > >> You know the effect that the 4.0 release had on Gtk/Gnome people... >> we are not there anymore, but it still hurts sometimes. (I'm not >> blaming the 4.0 release, but we must admit it gave new energies to >> so many trolls). Maybe talking with KDE people who are good at >> communicating it could emerge how much KDE technologies shine today >> :-) > > Well, the 4.0 release has hurt some users (due to distributions > shipping it despite our discouragement), but since then our developer > force has doubled. For developers the 4.0 release was great - a > framework which is technically ahead of whatever MS and Apple can > throw at us. > >> Well, lets me "patch" this part of my previous email: we studied >> and internally documented many KDE technologies (plamsa, akonadi, >> nepomuk, soprano, strigi, -virtuoso-, and others I can't remember >> right now)... we had meetings where everyone else had to >> listen/learn about those pieces of software. Then we decided to >> start using soprano+sesame2... I was involved in the implementation >> of a basic backend for soprano then moved back to GUI stuff. >> >> Look at the following slides (particularly slide 82) for a >> description of what role soprano played >> http://www.slideshare.net/itsmesrl/itsme-lezione-usi-lugano > > Interesting. > >> Since then we had problems with soprano and a guy in our team >> started experimenting with tracker. He immediately felt better with >> tracker (he is a Gtk/Gnome kind of person :-P), and the whole team >> was convinced that using tracker + DIY (do it yourself) would be >> better than trying to fix soprano (wich because of sesame was >> really feature missing at the time). Since then they migrated >> Guglielmo (the itsme equivalent of nepomuk-kde) and AVFS (will have >> a new name shortly, basically it is a fuse overlay over the RDF >> storage, sort of like KIO::nepomuk) to tracker. > > Well, that is unfortunate as it is my understanding from Sebastian > Trueg's website that the new virtuosa backend for Soprano kind'a > solves the problems it has... http://trueg.wordpress.com/ > >> Our initial Guglielmo code will hopefully be released as >> open-source in a month or so. >> >> So they know what the technologies do, and they tried to use >> them... Where I wrote "our developers not understanding the benefit >> of the Nepomuk integration with the rest of KDE products" please >> read "our developers not evaluating the benefits of the Nepomuk >> integration with the other KDE technologies more than the efforts >> needed to fix Nepomuk/Soprano". >> >> In my opinion what my team is not "understanding" is that the >> flexibility and the tight integration of KDE technologies is really >> huge compared to the cost of "fixing it when it does not work for >> your needs". > > Yes, I guess that's something really worth communicating. It takes a > while to get the infrastructure up and running but once you do you > can get features others spend months on in a couple of hours. > >>> Tracker is really not flexible enough for what you want to do, as >>> far as I can tell. >> I have the same impression, but I guess that experimenting both >> tracker and soprano is added value to itsme and KDE and Gnome :-) >> >> Maybe we could write a post about the switch and its reasons. > > That would be interesting - if anyone on your team could blog about > that, I can link to it from planet.kde.org. Or even more interesting, > talk about it with Sebastian ;-) > >>> How about we get a Nepomuk person to your company to help you >>> guys out? >> I would love to meet people from the Nepomuk team (we contacted >> Sebastian Trueg while working on soprano and also submitted some >> patches) > > Cool. I guess you contacted developers using IRC or mailinglists or > personal mail? This works best when it comes to getting answers ;-) > > Of course when it comes to making decisions on technology there are a > couple of companies in the KDE ecosystem who can help with that. For > example KDAB, BasysKom, KO GmbH and Collabora. > > To get down to business: > > - I would love to hear a bit more about your usage of KDE > technologies, that might lead to a dot story. We can take it from > there and see if there are more ways to cooperate in the marketing > and promo department. > > - I will ask Sebastian Trueg to get in contact with you and see if he > can help out on the Nepomuk things. > > - When it comes to technical questions you should really contact the > appropriate developers through IRC, mailinglists etc, if you need > help ask me. For more in-depth consultancy contact one of the KDE > businesses. > > Did I miss anything? > > Greetings, > > Jos Poortvliet KDE Marketing -- Stéphane Laurière Mandriva http://mandriva.com Mobile: +33 6 45 81 62 02 http://twitter.com/arkub _______________________________________________ This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. Visit https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, set digest on or temporarily stop your subscription.