List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Youtube KDE official channel?
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-18 22:48:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 18 December 2009 23:17:01 James Cain wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Anne Wilson <annew@kde.org> wrote:
> > On Friday 18 December 2009 13:17:45 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > What exactly do you propose? Have them in the kde community account in
> > > youtube or on a KDE server?
> >
> > I don't know enough about the practicalities to make a judgement.  My
> > personal
> > preference would be 'on a KDE server', but any solution that ensures that
> > the
> > videos stay around as long as needed is fine by me.  I've already had to
> > remove a couple of links to really good stuff because it just disappeared
> > without trace.
> >
> > I'll try to build it into my userbase monitoring work to contact the
> > owners of
> > desirable videos linked from userbase, and ask them to put it under our
> > wing,
> > once a decision is made.
> >
> > Anne
> > --
> > KDE Community Working Group
> > New to KDE4? - get help from http://userbase.kde.org

> How about putting all approved videos on the YouTube channel but videos
> would be downloaded and backed-up on a server in case the video
>  "disappears" as you stated, and I understand, can happen. With the
>  author's permission to have a local copy, the Promo Team can insure that
>  they are up as long as the community deems them worth listing there, while
>  also having them embedded strategically in KDE sites as well, if that was
>  desired.
>
> Of course, the "*Join the Official KDE Community Channel*" can be promoted
> on all of the places where community-type things are listed. Also, the "top
> 5?" (just an idea) videos could be co-hosted on relevant KDE sites, with a
> link to the Official Channel on YouTube for those wanting even more
>  content. The thing I like about this idea is that the "Top 5" (or
>  something similar) could be videos that tie in with relevant Dot news
>  stories that have feature content.  I believe YouTube allows you to
>  "feature" certain videos when someone lands on the channel page.
>
> The channel page on YouTube is also is like a mini social page that can
> contain links to presentations, pages, etc. As you might guess, the
> possibilities here are potentially great.
>
> It's my belief that most people who are naive and curious about KDE's
> visuals will check out YouTube first, before (and IF) they delve into
> (presumably mainly) text-based web pages on KDE-domained websites. I'm just
> thinking of my non-technical friends here and how I generally see them
>  surf.
>
> Of course this is all depending on said content being there to begin with.
> The neat thing about the YouTube channel is that it could be a synergistic
> mix of KDE Developers who currently produce videos in their blogs to show
> relevant developments in their areas of expertise, as well as
> [...]

It seems we have a winner. I hereby declare you our Youtube master.

Thou shalt get the passwords for our youtube and blip accounts. Thou shalt
start putting content in them, finding people to create it if needed. Thou
shalt be poking people to get the changes on KDE websites and show the feed.
Thou shalt get us to write a dot story once things are in the air. And Thou
shalt sacrifice a virgin once a month to celebrate.

Wait, skip the last one, I've been watching to much Angel lately. No
sacrifices except for your own blood, sweat and tears. And sleep. Nobody needs
sleep, Nuno said it.