List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Helping distros with the branding
From:       Nathan Ogden <nathanogden76 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-16 12:55:07

On 12/16/2009 07:03 AM, Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I started a new thread as the distro boilerplate one has got long and this is
> kinda moving on to the next steps now.
>
> I got a comment on my blog post about branding terminology from Jaroslav
> Řezník or Fedora KDE-SIG (so they're aware now, which is good). He had a
> couple of questions that I'll paraphrase below:
>

> > I'm really unsure about correct wording, for example – simple summary in
> >
> SPEC file would be "KDE Accessibility" as it simply matches rebranding – it's
> accesibility module by KDE community (and doesn't directly mean that it's just
> for KDE applications)
> KDE Accessibility is fine, I think
>

> > The question is "Core runtime requirements and applications for KDE 4." or
> >
> should be there KDE Platform v. 4?
> I guess this is kdelibs - so:
> "Core runtime requirements for KDE software" (the four will be dealt with in
> the package name/version?) or perhaps more specifically, "Core runtime
> requirements for software built on KDE Platform 4″?
> Personally, I'm not that worried about the wording in spec files for the time
> being, but the question is still useful.
>

> > So could you please be more specific in distro guidelines or could we just
> >
> meet somewhere on IRC to talk about it? It is really not easy to understand
> all meanings…
> I've asked him to mail kde-promo with a list of problems/questions. But it
> might be good if a few of us could organise an IRC session and invite some
> distro people so we can do a bit of a q&a? First I need to get myself using
> IRC...
>

> > Another question is how to use it in distro name – we currently ship Fedora
> >
> KDE Desktop Edition which is actually Fedora KDE spin but Desktop Edition or
> spin refers to Fedora not KDE but as KDE alone is now used only for community
> around KDE SC? How to match it correctly to distro names (and all distros with
> different policies).
> Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop (spin). Bit of a mouthful though, isn't it? At
> present they have "Fedora KDE Live Media" on the downloads page - also ok?
> Just means live media from Fedora and KDE (GNOME is "Fedora Desktop Live
> Media" which riles me a little, and some of the KDE SIG people, but that
> debate has been had and I don't see it changing)

I'm assuming their KDE spin is the usual KDE workspace + other apps. If
so, Fedora KDE Plasma Desktop Edition sounds right to me. (We chose the
"KDE Plasma Desktop" part.) :-) I can think of only 2 ways to shorten it
at the moment. 1) Fedora Plasma Desktop Edition (when KDE is no longer
needed as part of the name). 2) Fedora KDE Plasma Edition (if more than
one KDE workspace is included).
> Anyway, I've set up a page to track talking to distros:
> http://community.kde.org/Promo/Distribution_Communication/Tasks which is very
> sparse at present - I'm sure someone - Aaron? - was talking to one of the
> openSUSE peeps and there are plenty more distros we should actively target.

I added some contact info to the wiki page for openSUSE (2 ways,
actually). I sent an email to the community manager. In the boilerplate
thread, someone commented that the proper way to contact them (openSUSE)
was through openFATE and that they had filed a request.

Nathan