List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Fwd: Plasma promotion via flickr
From:       Stuart Jarvis <stuart.jarvis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-03 9:17:29

On Thursday 03 December 2009 02:00:26 Thomas Hannigan wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > Something i've noticed about plasma.. People don't understand the
> > flexibility of it.
> >
> > I've started a flickr group at
> > http://www.flickr.com/groups/plasma-desktop/.

Nice idea. I'd like to see this also on kde.org (there's a redesign coming,
some of the people are on this list). Can we - you maybe - get in the
workspaces section a selection of some of the best screenshots to showcase
what plasma can do? The whole build your own ideal desktop thing has some
potential as a selling point I think (while still pushing the idea that what
we set up as default is very usable).

I'm not really familiar with flickr (I'm such a web Luddite, still prefer my
pics on my site...) but is there any way of coercing people to post their
screenshots there under a suitable licence that lets us re-use them without
any issues - cc-by-sa or some explicit permission that we can grab them for
kde.org?

> > The purpose is to show people the flexibility and beauty of plasma.
> > For the longest time, my desktop was a basic folder view and a digital
> > clock. I never knew anything else, coming from windows 2000. The many
> > combinations of themes and plasmoids allow for massive customizations
> > but people don't see the "wow" that they can build. I got the idea
> > from the lifehacker photo group that does (approximately) the same
> > thing - http://www.flickr.com/groups/lifehacker-desktop-showandtell/.
> >
> > I hope that this idea can acheive "critical mass" and become a place
> > where users are awed by the abilities of plasma and realize that
> > plasma/linux/kde/etc is more than a green screen and a flashing
> > cursor. May I have your thoughts, sanction, and a screen capture?

As I said, ace idea. I'm thinking of what CSS Zen Garden did for CSS web
design (in case you never checked it see http://www.csszengarden.com/)

And while I've punted a couple of extra ideas above, I don't have time to do
anything about them. Using flickr is cool, so as far as I'm concerned that's a
great start. I'll try and get round to posting a screenie later...

Cheers,
Stu