List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Update The Feature Plan! NOW!
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-03 7:36:58

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
<kossebau@kde.org> wrote:
> Mercredi, le 2 decembre 2009, ŕ 21:38, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit:
> > On December 1, 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > The trick is to get people to care about this at all, not coming up \
> > > with a system that will be ignored in just the same way.
> >
> > getting people to care is all about perceived cost/benefit. if it is
> > difficult or takes a lot of time, the benefit has to be even higher. if
> > the cost part of the equation is low(er), then the benefit sell doesn't
> > have to be as strong either.
>
> Still poses the question what the benefits are to add your feature to a \
> list.
> One is to have the right to add a feature after soft feature freeze, \
> which is at least for me the biggest reason.
>
> The other is to have it used by the promo people. But how big are the \
> chances it gets used (=benefit), especially for smaller features of \
> non-core programs? And the link from the release announcement to the \
> features list is not motivating, as that list is long so that small \
> feature will be overread anyway.

Actually we'll have a feature guide for this release so the chances of
your feature being mentioned, even if it's small, are not bad at all.

> Any other reason I can right now think of to add a feature to the list is \
> done in/by other channels/solutions (blog, dev mailinglist, chat, ...).

Think about those users who have a pet peeve - an issue small to
others but big to them. Mentioning somewhere the issue is fixed or
improved makes them happy. They might use ctrl-F to find it ;-)